35 pounds brass mortar and pestle. Iranian and HUGE!

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Ihaveolditems, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Ihaveolditems

Ihaveolditems Active Member

Here is an apparently Iranian/Persian mortar and Pestle. The base(mortar) weighs approximately 15 to 20 pounds and the shaft (pestle) is approximately 10 pounds. It seems To be solid brass, I am not asking for brass melt value as they are worth more just as a usable object. Where will you EVER find another? That's 75+ years old, from Iran, and over 35 pounds? Probably never. But enjoy the pictures and please give an idea as to value. If you're not sure what would you HYPOTHETICALLY pay for one(if you wanted or needed it)... none of my items are for sale unless I bought them and they weren't heirlooms/ still my parents items

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry...i don't have time to give value...

kyratango likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Ihaveolditems

Ihaveolditems Active Member

no big deal if valuation isn't given. i did/do want to know what to insure our houses contents for. between large&small persian rugs, nearly 200 brass objects including samovars, crystal/glass, tin plates from 1 foot to 5.5 feet wide, wood furniture(turkish and kuwaiti chests, old wood chairs , to ceramic and porcelain... its anybodys guess unless i can put a number on each item. maybe ill just have an insurance adjuster look at everything and tell him, i want two and a half million for contents if our house goes up in flames ;)

kyratango likes this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's nice, but it doesn't look middle-eastern. That form was very common in Europe, though.

The most I've ever paid for a brass mortar and pestle was about $70.00. I have seen them for sale up to $200.00, but not much beyond that. I dunno if that helps any.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If you seriously want your personal property to be insured you have a lot of work to do. I'd start by asking your insurer of choice what documentation they need regarding the items to be insured. It may be they'd need certified appraisals of the more valuable items. Pay an appraiser based on time not appraised value. You should keep records, preferably payment receipts, for your better items since the insurer may be willing to cover what you paid.

The mortar and pestle you have aren't old enough to be vintage or antique. It is hard to tell whether they were made for use or decoration. Best way to put a value on it, other than your receipt, is to look at Ebay "sold" items and find one comparable.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Genuine antique mortars will have clear signs of use. Look for things like worn decorations, cavities, chips, wear-down, etc. That'll be the result of decades of grinding, crushing, smashing, scraping around, and wear from polishing and cleaning.

judy likes this.