Featured 4 art glass perfume bottles - Signatures

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 19, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found four perfume/scent bottles I need help identifying, as follows:
    1. Rounded triangular blue frosted glass cut with triangles - signed. Pontil scar. Height without stopper 5.25"
    2. Triangular white frosted glass cut with triangles -signed. Pontil scar. Height without stopper - 4.5"
    3. Elongated ovoid shaped blue frosted cut with stars and waves - unsigned. Height without stopper - 4" Stopper missing.
    4. Ruby colored opalescent glass with applied clear glass decoration - signed. Height without stopper - 3" Unpolished pontil scar. Stopper missing.

There were two broken stoppers added to the sale that don't fit the two bottles. The first three seem like the same time period. The fourth is different. I was really happy to get them as they will add some color and interest to my small collection. The signatures are pretty indecipherable, but maybe someone can help with that or perhaps the maker.

1. IMG_9297.jpg IMG_9298.JPG IMG_9305.jpg IMG_9295.JPG IMG_9292.JPG IMG_9291.JPG IMG_9306.JPG IMG_9301.JPG

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@KikoBlueEyes - I think you might get more help if you edit your title to include the words "art glass". Click on the "thread tools" at the top right of the thread & you should still be able to choose "edit title". :happy:

I will be of no help with these bottles. :p:p :happy:

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Kiko,

Can you turn the last one, so we can see the clear part straight on?

4. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for giving them a look. You gave me a thought about a way to search. Changed the title. Thanks

pearlsnblume, judy and bercrystal like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Sure.

IMG_9310.JPG IMG_9311.JPG IMG_9309.JPG IMG_9308.JPG

judy and i need help like this.
  6. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

I can tell you how they were produced, but not who produced them. Also, the Burgundy coloured example (with scrolled-handles) isn't really practical as a perfume bottle, due to its top formation. It may have been an experimental piece.

The 2 blue examples are the most challenging & time consuming of all four bottles to make. Time has been spent on cameo-"cutting" the glass with highly dangerous & toxic hydrofluoric acid (a combination of hydrogen and fluorine)

The teardrop stoppers/dibbers should be easy to locate (if you need replacements) as they are the simplest stopper-types to produce and are relatively universal & interchangeable in terms of a suitable fit, provided they're not to long in length for the bottle. They literally take 2 minutes to make if you know what you're doing.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Ritzy. Thank you for this insight into how they were created. Must have been someone who knew what they were doing and also had quite an artistic vision, since the large blue one and the white one, are both pinched triangular in body shape, and has these triangular motifs. The smaller blue one is such a lovely shape. I think of it as the night sky over the ocean. I planned to put them with my other perfume bottles, but based on your comments, I'll add these three to my art glass collection.
    This also helps with my search for the maker, because I must be looking for someone or a studio where they know what they are doing. Thank you. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Kiko

judy and ritzyvintage like this.
  8. ritzyvintage

I don't know about USA legislation, but it is exceptionally difficult to obtain a licence to use/work with hydrofluoric acid. This would point towards a 'qualified & certificated' glass studio, with a history of working with chemicals and toxic colouring agents. Health & Safety laws are very strictly enforced and you have to satisfy & meet ALL OF THEM. Its not like you can purchase hydrofluoric acid from your local supermarket! Most (if not all) suppliers of chemical ingredients require ALL necessary paperwork etc., before they'll even consider selling certain substances. Safe transportation and storage is only the beginning!

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Ritzy. That is very helpful. Unfortunately, only two are marked with two different names. I can't see these as one offs, so they must be out there somewhere. Kiko

IMG_9295 corrected.jpg IMG_9298 corrected.jpg

10. KikoBlueEyes

Tried to enhance the ruby one signature
    IMG_9301 corrected.jpg

11. i need help

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. :)

i need help likes this.
  13. i need help

The first 2 seem to somewhat emulate Gary Genetti, but not his work. I did enjoy his website. Some beautiful work.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Great. I'll go look! Thank you.

15. ritzyvintage

@KikoBlueEyes Its a sad fact of life that many fine artists careers are over before they've begun. Some glass studios are very short lived due mainly to cost. My own studio for example cost me £1500 per week to run and that was back in the mid 1980s. £1500, before selling one single piece. Running costs are huge!

16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Would think the etching/carving done by sandblasting - used to have friend who would do it in his commercial shop for glass artisans, using their stencils, but certainly small pieces could be done with fairly simple equipment...

~Cheryl

17. ritzyvintage

Sandblasting would be the final process, and yes, stencils or a resist could be used, but the deeper cuts in the glass (and its cameo patterns) would require acid. Sandblasting only affects the outer surface to render the glass matt-satin frosted.

cxgirl likes this.
  18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, been twenty years or so, but have literally seen it done from start to finish, deep intricate 3-dimensional designs, much of his work done freehand, don't recall seeing acid used at all - his main production was done on large glass panels for installation at local businesses. As said, he would do work for other glassworkers who didn't want to mess with it and didn't have his skill - Sandblasting on Kiko's pieces would be very simple compared to what he did...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  19. ritzyvintage

Erm, "large flat glass panels" are one thing. The bottle as shown is a different story.

20. ritzyvintage

1. Studio glass sandblasted bottle.
    2. Studio glass acid-bathed bottle.
    upload_2021-2-20_19-5-32.jpeg [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted