4 cameos..I know nothing !

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by janettekay, Jul 21, 2014.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I have had these for decades...all from family estates. (I know a couple are from early 1900s if that helps) ..ANY info appreciated. Thanks
    largest 2 are approx.1 3/4"L smaller about 1 1/4" L.. 3 have bales..so combo pin/pendant I have more pics.
    Looking at auctions..I am shocked that they do not sell for much ! Guess I am out of touch....LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

These all look like shell cameos. Three are of "pretty ladies" and the fourth is a mythological figure.

They are all fairly common... the one wearing a necklace would probably be a little more valuable, since there might possibly be a real diamond in the necklace (I can't see it well enough to tell). The one of the mythological figure (lower right) might be a little more interesting to some people. The setting looks a bit different, and it's possible that it's a little older than the others.

I think they are all probably 20th century but could you show the back of the one at lower right? That will give more clues.

3. Figtree3

And they are not worthless, but also not worth a ton of money...

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looking at the settings, I would say Post WWI is correct.

Look closely for marks. Could be Gold, Gold filled or Sterling. The one with the diamond chip probably has a little more value.

The bottom right may depict a goddess. If you can ascertain who she is, that might add a little to the value. Depends on how much time you want to spend looking.

Five years ago, everyone was looking for cameos. I rarely have anyone ask and mine have been just sitting.

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They look to be qood quality with deep relief and modest amounts of wear. The one with the necklace is unusual.

I'd say all are 19th C. Italian, although they posssibly have mounts that originate from where they were retailed, not Italy.
    Better individual pictures of the front and back of each one would help.
    Do not confuse them with modern examples, they should fetch much more than low quality, 20th C. cameos.

Look through them at a light to spot internal cracks, even if not visible these do tend to devalue them a bit with serious collectors.

User 67 and Messilane like this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I've forgotten the term for those cameos with the extra bits of jewelery around the ladies' necks. Can someone help my poor brain?

7. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

8. janettekay

THANK YOU all.....I will post pics of backs ASAP. And I have a loop..so will check for marks. I can say I almost certain..it is a real diamond. No visible cracks..will check with a light.
    Here are backs..same order as my second pic above.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think the first one is newer since she has a pointed nose. If I remember that from the old ebay jewelry board.
    greg

10. janettekay

Just realized pics are dark..will take better ones (individual) tomorrow in daylight..

11. janettekay

Here are fronts and backs of the 2 larger ones
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

You have at least one 14K frame - remember to check the clasps when looking for marks. :happy:

Greg, while that is sometimes true (about the nose) it is not a hard & fast rule.
    It usually applies to the "ponytail" cameos of the 1950s or so, not these with the fancy hair and stuff.

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I agree about the pointy noses, once seen, once too many, they are seriously pointed.

Having seen the mounts better, I am now in agreement with the consensus, earlyish 20th C, possibly 1920s.

14. janettekay

Both of these are marked on clasp...14K !!! And no internal cracks..

15. janettekay

You all have been so kind...I just had to run out and photo rest..
    #3 front and back..unmarked...seems to be silver (tarnished)..and metal on one side of "ring mount" around cameo is separated. [​IMG] [​IMG]

#4...marked 14K on clasp AND what appears to be XV inside of mount at bottom.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Figtree3

Now that you've posted closer pics of front and back, I agree with others that they are all 20th century. I wasn't absolutely positive about the last one. They all appear to be in good condition -- although I wonder whether the pin on the last one is bent, or just hanging loose?

17. Figtree3

janettekay likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    janettekay likes this.
  19. janettekay

Pin on last one is fine...just hanging loose! Though 3rd one.(silver one) pin is bent.and as I said a "crack" "separation in metal mount around on side.

AND thanks for the links....I was surprised how different cameos can be! I am learning a lot....

Figtree-thanks so much for all your knowledge...I really appreciate it..
    .AND thanks again to everyone else !!!

I guess I may save them and list around the holidays..though I just am not keen selling good jewelry on Ebay I just don't know enough.(I have sold costume) ..and have no other outlet for selling around here....

20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

TYVM! My brain feels better now!

Draft saved Draft deleted