Featured 4 Pendants, Possibly Garnets - Worth Investigating?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Mansons2005, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I recently found these four SMALL pendants (the largest cross is 1-1/4" long).

All four have the same stones, and all four are marked "900" on the jump ring, not the back of the setting.

These look like garnets, and while my mother collected garnet jewelry, it was to wear - and she would rather have GONE to the cross than WEAR a cross - and she had little liking for that sort of Faith Hope and Charity symbolism. So I assume that they were not hers, and that leads me to believe that they may NOT be actual garnets.

Do any of you jewellery people think that it would be worth my while and my dollars to have these looked at by a professional? Would the sale value exceed the cost of appraisal?

Thank you for any direction!

MVC-107S.JPG MVC-108S.JPG MVC-114S.JPG MVC-109S.JPG MVC-110S.JPG MVC-111S.JPG MVC-112S.JPG

cxgirl, bobsyouruncle and tyeldom3 like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Probably real garnets almost cheaper than glass ones years ago. I have an Austrian picture frame with real garnets. I always thought they were glass until tested. They are pretty.
    greg

bobsyouruncle and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

If you can find someone with a gem tester to tell you if they are garnets then that would be the best.
    I would be willing to test them for you but I'm not sure where you're located. I have tested many items over the years for people on the board and the Ebay jewelry board but I understand if you'd rather not.
    An appraisal really isn't needed, if you can determine they are garnets, they will sell on their own merits.
    BTW...I LOVE them !

bobsyouruncle and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Thank you! May I message you?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Garnets are slightly magnetic. You will need to use a rare-earth type of magnet, though. They won't jump off the table and attach to the magnet (unless there's something ferrous in the setting!) ... but you should feel a bit of pull.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Ooh, purty! Unusual shapes too (the anchor specifically and even the horseshoe somewhat). Agreed that if they are garnets, they'll sell on their own merits as Calico said.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh look....a squirrel with a hat on !!!!!
    ( comment from another thread..:happy:.)

tie.dye.cat and tyeldom3 like this.
  8. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Calico has tested some items for me in the past, and she was wonderful.

9. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

If you get a good strong light and magnifier on the stones you may see little imperfections like inclusions which you wouldn't see in glass.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

lovely..especially the first cross

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'll lay odds these are Bohemian garnets from Gablonz/Jablonec. The construction and shape is absolutely typical of 19th/early 20th C stuff from there. There's a slight possibilty they're glass - some were - but it matters not in terms of value.

Figtree3 and bobsyouruncle like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They're lovely! But I was raised to always ensure that horseshoes were displayed with the open end up - so your luck does not fall out! ;)

komokwa and bobsyouruncle like this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bakers,
    Me too.
    greg

14. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

You have markings on the metal surfaces, visible in your 3rd photo. Both on the loop, and it appears on the termination of the pendant where it connects to the loop. I screen scraped your pic and tried to zoom in further, but it doesn't look like there are enough pixels to make that work. The marks could be maker / composition, etc, and are worth capturing. Maybe you can get some close up pics? ... Dave

komokwa likes this.
  15. Mansons2005

The only marks I can find are the ones on the jump link - "900".

16. gimbler-dave

Here's what I'm seeing ...
    db_markings.JPG

17. Mansons2005

Yeah, the one on the jump link is "900" - the other is a reflection of an untarnished spot!

gimbler-dave likes this.
  18. gimbler-dave

Wow! It's amazing how sometimes the brain turns noise into something more complex. Nice pieces. ... Dave

19. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Of course !

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are Bohemian garnet, like Bear said. The big center stone might be glass, they sometimes were, but the odds are high that these are the real deal. The settings are too nice for the fake cwap.

Draft saved Draft deleted