Featured 4 Pieces Jewel Help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Oct 19, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I picked up 4 pieces today and looking for some help. The 1st photo is of all the pieces, I'll post each piece in a separate post
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking!
    #1 is marked A.L.L.Co for A. L. Lindroth Co of North Attleboro Mass., 1897-1937. From some pieces I can find on-line the stones are described as paste, some are glass - is it possible to see what they stones are made of?
    DSCF7542.jpg DSCF7522.jpg DSCF7525.jpg DSCF7564.jpg DSCF7565.jpg DSCF7569.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some Jerusalem crosses have a color change sapphire in the middle, but think this is amethyst.

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

#3 is marked 950 Jerusalem, almost 1 3/4"W. I can find some called Jerusalem Cross. Any ideas on the stone or age?
    DSCF7591 (1).jpg DSCF7583 (1).jpg DSCF7597.jpg

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

#4 unmarked, the chain is broken but it such a pretty little thing I couldn't leave it behind. Ok, this is where I'm sure some of you will cringe, but I'm not sure how to describe the stones so here goes - the top is flat while the bottom part (inside the metal frame) is pointed, is there a term for this? Any ideas on the stones or where this was made? 1930s?
    DSCF7598.jpg DSCF7602.jpg DSCF7603.jpg DSCF7604.jpg DSCF7605.jpg DSCF7606.jpg

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you Bronwen:) I had wondered about the cross and the other piece with the purple colour stones but I don't think they do change. It is foggy and dark here but will check tomorrow.

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

WOW @cxgirl

Way to go! Here's a green version of the top piece at worthpoint.com And another

They don't give metal content, so assuming it's chromium or rhodium plated, which a lot of them are. But yours is boxed!

[​IMG]

They're very gorgeous!

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

#1&2 would be described as Art Deco bracelets.
    The one in sterling may actually be sapphires and I would recommend you have it checked.

The last one is most likely amethyst set in sterling. I would think late 1800s early 1900s. Faceted may be the word you are looking for, but wait for others with more knowledge to respond. You can have a new clasp put on.

judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  9. scoutshouse

Maybe you should use the box for that stunning sterling piece!

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, thank-you scoutshouse they are the same (other than colour:) the back is very dull and I figured would be plated with something, I wasn't sure if I should polish or not.

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you cluttered:) I will take it to be tested then, better to be sure. I'll have to find someone that can put a new clasp on it, the fellow that used to do repairs has retired and it is too small and finicky for me to attempt.

judy, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is a good idea, thanks Scoutshouse:)

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You SCORED! I collect those filigree pieces when I can find them. They came in costume, sterling, and white gold. Maybe platinum too, but I've never seen any. The stones in the bracelets are almost certainly glass. Synthetic sapphires are possible too; those turn up in Deco bracelets all the time, including the gold ones.

The cross is a Jerusalem cross. They've been made for centuries and are still being made. I have an almost identical one my mom bought in Israel 60 years ago. As for the other amethyst piece, it's old. They call that stone style a "scissors cut", but that's as far as I can get with it.

14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

#4 The flat top of the stone is the table,the top part of the stone is the crown and the bottom is the pavilion. For colored clear stones... never use a patterned background for photos and white is preferred.

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you evelyb30:) Scissor cut, that should be easy to remember! I'll take the bracelet in to get them checked, that way I'll know when selling.

16. Bronwen

I especially like the second deco bracelet. This is one I put up some time back on Collectors Weekly:

[​IMG]

Strictly costume, but fun all the same. (A lot of glare; all panels look like the one on the left. The glass stones are sapphire blue.)

Jerusalem crosses are also called Crusader crosses. Israel doesn't have a national standard for silver, so have seen a range of fineness marks, right up to 999. Have seen some that have a Christian pilgrimage spot represented on the back of each arm. Not sure I have ever seen 2 just alike.

I haven't looked at these in a while. Surprised to find so few of this type on eBay now; there used to be a ton of them. A search for 'alexandrite silver cross' ordered with most expensive first produced several of that type.

[Following written before evelyb's post.]
    Suspect the type was made over a prolonged period of time. Can't remember if I've ever seen one marked Palestine, although some say Israel. A wild guess is that they could date anytime post WWII into the 60s.

17. scoutshouse

18. Bronwen

The general term would be 'faceted'.

19. scoutshouse

Diamond Culet. The culet (pronounced kyoo-lit) of a diamond is the tiny point at the base of the pavilion, where the facets of the pavilion meet. In the majority of diamonds, the pavilion facets are uniformly cut at the proper angle and meet at a perfect point, yielding no culet (sometimes called a pointed culet).

I always wondered about that myself - just called it a point :)

judy, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  20. Bronwen

You could cross-post with the WOTD thread. :happy:

judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted