4 Porcelain Candle Holders Metal Base Bonwit Teller

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Oct 15, 2020.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked up 4 candle holders...neat looking. Originally sold at Bonwit Teller, a ritzy high end store in NY. They stand 2 1/4" tall. No marks. Any help appreciated.

can1.JPG can2.JPG can3.JPG can5.JPG can6.JPG can4.JPG

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember Bonwit Teller's. Donald Trump demolished the store to build Trump Tower and, in the process, deliberately destroyed the Art Deco grillwork and bas reliefs he'd previously promised to The Metropolitan Museum of Art. At the time he said -- quote un-quote -- “[t]he merit of these stones was not great enough to justify the effort to save them.”

The "effort" to save them would have cost $9,000. The construction project itself cost $100 million. But I digress.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's an old Bonwit Teller logo. Let's see if we can find out when it was last in use.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... That serif logo was being used in the very early 1960s and something similar, but not identical, was used in the late 1940s. So maybe 1950s-1960s for window? (After that appears the store adopted the more familiar sans-serif Art Deco logo.) To my eye, items and price stickers could be early 1960s. Let's see what others think.

Debora

s-l400.jpg
    18c13e8060c2324004424438e49b7392.jpg

5. kraftblue

Thank you Deb!

Debora likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're very chic. Bonwit's wonderful provenance. Not marked but they normally sourced their porcelain from Italy.

Debra

Bronwen likes this.
  7. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Good quality items

judy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. kraftblue

Yes they are! thank you Deb.

10. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Thank you for writing this Debora, adding it my list of reasons for submitting a postal vote.

bercrystal and Debora like this.
  11. Gatorsharon

Gatorsharon Member

Must everything be politicized? Come to this website to get away from that.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I beg your pardon. There was nothing political about my post. It was fact. As reported in The New York Times (among other news outlets) at the time. And on the front page no less. The full article is below. (Unfortunately the photograph that accompanies the caption "A demolition worker using a jackhammer to break up a portion of the wall containing Art Deco panel at the Bonwit Teller Building on Fifth Avenue." is not available due to copyright restrictions.)

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 7.51.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 7.52.39 AM.png

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted