Featured 4" quaint vase-like hand painted distinctive sig: R G M ...and maybe Y

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Can't seem to find the maker of this little piece. Has a bit of a French look but could be completely off base. Measures 4" tall. Thanks for taking a look.

pi1.jpg pi3.jpg pi4.jpg pi4b.jpg pi8.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Lucille.b

Thanks. It's like a little mini vase, you can put water in the hole thing.

Just thinking that someone might recognize the stamp or style of item. Not even sure what to call this.

Thanks for taking a look.

4. komokwa

isn't this doll house furniture....?

5. Lucille.b

Not a doll house item. But size-wise, yes exactly that size.

This is all one unit -- and at first I was thinking that it was some kind of small vase-like vessel as you can put liquid in it through the top.

Well yesterday at the thrift, among thousands of unorganized items, I looked down and spotted a ornate tiny stopper. It just caught my eye because it was floral and hand done, and at once realized it goes with this piece!

Will post a photo in a bit. Wondering, with a stopper, could this be a perfume?

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, how amazing to find the stopper!! Maybe a dresser/scent bottle! It is a nice looking piece:) sorry I don't know who the maker is, I'll poke around later and see if I can find anything.

7. Lucille.b

Thanks for taking a look, Cx. New pics below. Nothing short of a miracle I stumbled on that stopper. I think handmade/painted, so feel it must be a known maker, but I suppose could be some kind of studio piece. The detailing was what drew my eye to the stopper. At first didn't realize it was part of the piece I purchased two days earlier, picked it up and suddenly thought -- I bet this goes with my piece!

I think it could be something like a dresser/scent bottle. Excellent suggestion.

fl3.jpg fl4.jpg fl5.jpg fl6.jpg fl7.jpg fl8.jpg

8. komokwa

That's wonderful Lucille........no one else would have picked that up......so it waited for you !!!!:happy::happy:

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, that really is amazing to find the stopper:) As komokwa said, it was waiting for you!
    I couldn't find anything on the mark, sorry.
    It really is a sweet piece, you think there would be something similar out there

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

So happy for you that you found the stopper. It is lovely.

11. Lucille.b

@cxgirl thank you for looking around and trying to help me ID this. :) I appreciate it! I usually do a bit of research myself prior to posting, came up w/nothing, too!

Kind of a mystery piece, but will hang on to it for a while. It will look nice in a little window shelf display I have.

Judy, I didn't even know it was missing a stopper! Yes, a small miracle I reunited the two pieces. I have actually been known to do that at the GW. If I see two pieces in different parts of the housewares that go together, I will reunite them. But this is the first time I've ever done it with a piece that I had already purchased!

If I ever figure it out, I will be sure to post back.

Thanks to everyone who took a look!

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Lucille, that is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think it is a cologne holder. That cork would be pretty smelly if perfume.
    greg

14. Lucille.b

Thanks, Greg.

In either case, I don't think this was ever used. Zero scent smell.

15. gregsglass

Hi,
    I have never seen a cork on a perfume bottle due to the smell and I think something in it would dissolve the cork. That is why I thought it was cologne which I have seen many a cork in.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  16. komokwa

I just can't get past it being for salad oil, or vinegar ...........:hungry::hungry:

judy likes this.
  17. Lucille.b

Hard to see from photos, has that general shape, but way too small.

Good point about the cork, Greg. Maybe cologne, scented bath water? Or maybe always intended to be just decorative, but then why the cork.

Seems handmade from the base (or partially handmade?) every flower petal, etc., and hand painted. Still looks French to me.

judy likes this.
  18. komokwa

It just looks like it was made to grasp and pour......even at that size..!! :wacky::wacky::rolleyes:

& the cork.......eh..huh...eh.../???

19. gregsglass

Hi,
    Perhaps the cork to make it fit tighter so the top did not fall out. It might just be decorative, it is a lovely piece.
    greg

20. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Maybe for maple syrup. Verrrry sweet.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted