4 small squares linen embroidered w/ English? shields & Anno 1953

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by bercrystal, Jan 29, 2017.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have these small (5 3/8"x 5 3/8") squares of linen that have been embroidered with I think may be English shields in the center. At the top is Anno 1953 & at the bottom Danmark, Norge, Kobenhaven & Sverige.

I am hoping that someone can help me with what these would be used for, as well as the meaning of the embroidered words & date.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

norway
    copenhagen
    sweden
    denmark

year 1953

again, wag...coasters..

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have some small (approx same sized) linen squares with different cross-stitch that were made as coasters for a "luncheon" dining table - matching mats and napkins as well.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u should be asleep....:hilarious:

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Possibly something to do with the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. Vast amounts of souvenir stuff of every type was produced for the event.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Would think there would be reference to Queen Elizabeth if having anything to do with her coronation. The 'shields' are the coats of arms of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and the city of Copenhagen.

May have something to do with the Nordic Council, initially formed in 1953 by those three countries and headquartered in Copenhagen...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    leeddie and komokwa like this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted