4 Vintage (1980s) Museum/Artist Exhibition Posters

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 26, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these today at my friend's thrift store. They could be in better condition (they are glued or attached to what looks like cardboard!) - but for $50 ($12.50 each) I thought they were worth the gamble.

1 is a BIG (50.5" inches tall) poster for the Soviet Museum!
    Another one is hand signed but has no other title, identifying marks - does anyone know the artist?
    And another - the James Rosenquist Star Thief poster - I actually found a copy that sold on Christies? (Is mine the same as it appears?)

Can anyone tell me about these?
    Thank you!

ART POSTER CIRCLE WATER POSTER SIGNED 1AA.JPG ART POSTER CIRCLE WATER POSTER SIGNED 2AA.JPG
    ART POSTER SOVIET MUSEUM 8AA RULER.JPG ART POSTER SOVIET MUSEUM 1A+AAA.JPG ART POSTER SOVIET MUSEUM 3AA.JPG ART POSTER SOVIET MUSEUM 7A+AA.JPG ART POSTER SOVIET MUSEUM 6AA.JPG ART POSTER JAMES ROSENQUIST STAR THIEF 1AA.JPG ART POSTER CARNEVALE  1AA.JPG ART POSTER CARNEVALE  2AA.JPG View attachment 397228 ART POSTER SOVIET MUSEUM 7A+AA.JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  2. journeymagazine

I tried to add the photo of the ruler after posting by clicking edit - obviously I didn't know what I was doing & got a double at the end!
    I apologize.

3. journeymagazine

Has anyone seen the first poster before or know whose signature it is? If it's not anything special I'm going to just toss it to make a little more room.
    Thanks

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not for 'the Soviet Museum', it is an Italian poster for an exhibition, presumably in Italy, of art from various Soviet Museums.
    "Capolavori impressionisti e postimpressionisti dai musei sovietici" means "Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from Soviet Museums".

Could you show us the text at the bottom of the poster? It probably says when and where the exhibition was held.

One of the details you showed is the title of the Paul Gauguin painting on the poster. The title is "Aha oe feii?" ("Are you jealous?" in Tahitian). It was one of the Post-Impressionist masterpieces in the exhibition.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Found the exhibition, it was held in 1983 in Villa Favorita, the home of the Thyssen-Bornemisza collection in Lugano, Switzerland.
    Lugano is in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, close to the border with Italy.

It always helps if you include a photo of 'when and where'.:)

6. journeymagazine

I had it but sometimes my photo app on computer decides a photo - isn't a photo and I can't pist that one; sorry!

7. journeymagazine

Draft saved Draft deleted