Featured 5/8” Round earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi All, I have my Mom’s 5/8” round earrings that I only usually break out at Christmas time.....they are completely UNMARKED, but I would like to know their finness....without marring them.....again a BUT.....I don’t see a way to do that without leaving a mark from rubbing them on the ‘stone’.....am assuming (of course could easily be wrong) they are probably at least 14K......any suggestions??? I HAVE been over them with the ‘fine toothed comb’!!!! Thanks for any/ALL help, of course!!!

EDITING: CHANGING images to less blurry.....I hope.....!!!! The last one was tougher to get UN-blurry that close, for me.....and, maybe since they DON'T rotate once in the ear, I could try rubbing the 'sort of backish side' on the stone??????

Earrings1.jpg
    Earrings2.jpg

Earrings3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wouldn't know Aqui, but I do think they are really pretty.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Are they hollow and light weight,photos are not in focus to see a seam line. Just a guess they are electroformed.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These are gorgeous! I've never even seen ball gold earrings with a looped pierced ear wire, only with straight wires! These are so sizeable, they must be hollow, right? Or your ear lobes would be weighted down! ;)

pearlsnblume, KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

YES, they are hollow with those zig zags all the way around.... am still hampered not having my own computer.....can try re-posting them from DH’s computer.....will probably have better luck.....the iPad programs I’ve got are NOT so friendly!!

antidiem, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

They are lovely Aqui!.
    Could you rub the wires on the stone just to get an idea?. I know the K of the balls may be different to the wires but it would be a start?
    I know you say you have but have you checked every angle of the wires with a high mag. loupe?. I’ve looked and looked at some earring posts and wires and suddenly seem something at a different angle or in a different light :) ....sometimes I’ve even spotted it on a different day...:rolleyes:

anundverkaufen and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

KSW, I’ve gone bananas with these looking!!! IF there’s anything there, I’m still missing it.....but I WILL give it another try.....I found my little 60X magnifier.....if that can’t find anything........:p:p:D

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe just test the wires to start with then which would give you an idea?

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'm just going to toss this out - I believe these are 18k gold in their entirety. I'm sure the wires are 18k and the balls look very nice and appear to be 18k too. Personally, I'd not want to scratch this anywhere to test them. If you find the maker, you will see they are 18k.. JMHO <3

KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

With the better photos,it looks like a students failure,excess solder "blobs" in a number of locations.

11. Aquitaine

I’ll try to test tomorrow, and see what I come up with and let you know!!

KSW likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If there are marks there, sometimes you can find them by just feeling with your fingers. Run your fingers along the wires first, that would be the most likely place.

If they are marked, that is....:confused:

KSW likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Thank you AJ, felt both wires with no success! GOOD thought though!!!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Aquitaine

@KSW & @Any Jewelry, & whoever else is decent at reading gold tests, I ran the gold test for 14K, 18K & 22K on both the wire and the earring balls.....well, just one ball....results below, but since it’s only the second time using, I’m no expert at reading.....it’s 2 images for the same test! One’s just lighter than the other......I Really would appreciate some help in reading, and thank you very much for that!!!!

87A9F4CD-A3E4-485A-89B8-093C03E77BB9.jpeg

5AD299B3-3D3F-4B8A-A754-DF2A23668137.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted