5 Gallon Glass Water Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Aug 23, 2019.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

I know some bottle sell for money. This says Borden Polar Water. Base says Made in Mexico. Any idea how old this is?

bott1.JPG bott2.JPG bott3.JPG

bercrystal likes this.
  2. Brazos

Brazos Active Member

Looks like a water cooler bottle. I doubt it has a great deal of value, but I have never seen one sell. It would make a heck of a bank for loose change.

bercrystal likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Agree - I don't think the age is going to make much difference. Around here they still sell as coin banks. Grandparents still put loose change in them for their grandchildren. They don't go for much at auction though. There's a similar bottle on Worthpoint but I don't have a membership. There's also one similar for sale on ebay for $65 with $35 shipping. They're calling it a carboy.
    Don

pearlsnblume, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's because it is a carboy! Hubby 2 and I had several that we used for fermenting and aging wine.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Carboy is my word of the day - I never heard of a carboy before:

Just for fun from Google:

The word carboy is from the Persian qarābah (قرابه), from Arabic qarrāba, "big jug". Demijohn originally referred to any glass vessel with a large body and small neck, enclosed in wickerwork.

Don

6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Need to see the base but probably 70's-80's. I personally don't consider the made in mexico bottles for anything but storage. If you fill it with change don't try and lift it as when you do the bottom may drop out! :cigar::cigar::cigar:

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ah, do I hear the wisdom of experience speaking here???

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My aunt used to drop loose change into the razor slot in her medicine cabinet. One day the change tore open the dry wall and it cost her almost as much as she had saved to repair the damage.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

DivasFinds, judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Yep, bought a jug full at an estate a long time ago, tried to pick it up, the base stayed on the floor and the top came with me. What a mess!:cigar::cigar::cigar:

judy likes this.
  10. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. It was free so it was worth a shot.

judy likes this.
  11. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

I just picked one up at an auction WITH the original crate....very cool!

Draft saved Draft deleted