Featured 50 cal brass cigarette lighter

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Michael77, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Just sharing this, a 50 cal brass cigarette lighter. My Great Grandfather gave me this when I was about 8 years ago. I've had it for better than 50 years. Mfg 1943 in St Louis. I'm sure it doesn't have much value beyond the sentimental. Just a fun piece. IMG_2510.jpg IMG_2511.jpg IMG_2512.jpg

Jivvy, cxgirl, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Bronwen, i need help and 3 others like this.
  3. Michael77

Thanks Ray, yes I remember there was always a lite cigarette going in the house back then. Its a different world now in some ways it's better in other ways not so much. Maybe it just seems like simpler times as a kid.

cxgirl, Bronwen, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

My dad quit cigarettes and went on to cigars. I'll take the second-hand cigarette smoke over those stogies. He'd fire one of those up in the car and me and my brother would about choke in the back seat.

[:cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Figtree3, cxgirl, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  5. Michael77

Hi Sabre, Oh yes I remember that for sure. When you watch old WW2 movies they are all smoking like chimney’s .

cxgirl, Bronwen, i need help and 2 others like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great lighter:)
    lol, that is what I always notice, everyone was smoking everywhere:)

Michael77 likes this.
  7. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

i have a bunch of photos of my dad in France and Belgium,almost everyone posing with a smoke,big question would be,, who the hell took all the pictures?...1st army 89th quartermaster rail head division

Michael77 likes this.
  8. Michael77

I know we'd love to see those photos if you wouldn't mind posting them, and maybe any story behind them. It's important to remember and honor those men who gave so much and some who gave all.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  9. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

i can do that,i didnt know this story until after he passed,another regret?....goggle the garrison of gouvy...its about the bulge.....i do remember him talking about burning the rations

komokwa and Michael77 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted