55k For a Stoneware Jug?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by James Conrad, Sep 24, 2017.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. James Conrad

Cool story but still, 55k is a bunch for a single jug, i might be collecting the wrong stuff! Thanks for the link that explains who Dave was.

judy likes this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

http://www.crockerfarm.com/highlights/ there's a dave jug on the list that sold for 46k in 2016, so 55k isn't really surprising. Very plain compared to others. Sometimes it's all about the history and story the piece tells, and not about looks or construction.

5. James Conrad

Yeah, i know about Crocker, they specialize in this kind of pottery & every now an then they will have an odd piece of early furniture. Some of those world record prices for jugs is stunning, almost every eastern seaboard state has jugs that sold for big bucks.

judy likes this.
  6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

which just goes to show that Jefferson should have stopped at the Mississippi River........................not much went on west of there that amounted to much....................

JUST KIDDING! Please don't roast me for my peculiar sense of humor.........

Aquitaine, dgbjwc, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. James Conrad

LOL, uh ohhh, let the drama begin! No pottery out west huh or maybe they have not developed or researched it yet?

judy likes this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I was just funnin'! there are lots of things, including pottery & people, that came/come of out the west - and there still are! But as you pointed out, the items from oldest portions of the country have the seemingly highest values.

This was a riff or sorts on an old magazine cover from the 1970s - a map of the US, showing New York, New Jersey, the Mississippi River and San Francisco - nothing in between.............

Bakersgma and James Conrad like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The keyword for this one is Dave. Dave the Slave means this is a pre-Civil War jug potted by a slave only known as Dave. He signed things, and his pots tend to go for serious money. (Thank you Antiques Roadshow.)

Aquitaine, Bakersgma and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

Well, Dave had it goin on yesterday even out in the boonies, i was a little shocked. Now that i think about it, he might have helped me with my table, everyone was there for DAVE!

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  11. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Any Edgefield SC pottery is valuable. There are some sites about Edgefield you can check to learn more about it. Dave and Chandler pots (Chandler being a bit more easily ID'd due to the scrollwork). I've had the opportunity to see and hold a few Dave and Chandler pots--extraordinary. And BTW, damage doesn't matter too much when it comes to Edgefield pieces.

Some years ago, I went to a local auction out in the boonies here in SC. A dilapidated tiny 4 room farmhouse. They had a signed Dave pot along with some other Edgefield pieces. I was hoping to score the Dave piece for a song as there were only a few people at the auction and nobody looked very prosperous. Ha! The jug sold for $4K. Still a steal. Today, I'd snap it up for that price, but back then I was just learning and didn't realize the value.

James Conrad and judy like this.
  12. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Just wondering, with that kind of money at stake, has there been any recorded fakes?

James Conrad and judy like this.
  13. evelyb30

I've never heard of any, but someone must have tried it at least once.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  14. James Conrad

It happens in old furniture fairly often but i don't know about pottery.

15. evelyb30

I know so little about pottery that I might think real antiques were recent art pottery.(LOL)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted