Featured 60's Modern? What era is this glass lamp?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Just got this and would love to get some extra eyes on it.

Trying to avoid lamps --(hard to ship, and how many can a person have?) but could not pass this at $10 with this amazing green glass.

The whole thing (with glass insert) is about 3 ft. tall.

First, the base:

lamp1.jpg

Cord shows some age. Academy electric was a New York company in business from 1947-2000.

lamp4.jpg

lamp4b.jpg

Base has no clues at this point due to covering in felt. I would rather not remove unless absolutely necessary.

lamp5.jpg

Now here is the odd part stylistically to my eye. Could of course be perfectly original:

lamp6.jpg

Also, inside has a porcelain fitting (word "China") so thinking this was maybe rewired but they used the original the plug?

lamp8.jpg

Would this have just been displayed with the top white shade open? Anything missing? I kind of like it without the white but want to keep it original. Thoughts to maker? Is there a name for a lamp with an open glass top like that? All thoughts appreciated!

lamp9.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm betting it had a shade over the milk glass; it was a common thing to do well into the 40s and probably 50s. I'd have drooled all over that thing too; the base is gorgeous. The only way it could be better is to light up too.

Christmasjoy, Sandra, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, it would have had an oversized shade. Looks 1960s to me.

Debora

komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont think the top is original. The lamp could even be 70s.Love the green.

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I'd be tempted to put three or four miniature led down lights in the base facing up so they lit up the green glass.

6. Lucille.b

This lamp had me at "green glass".

So a large shade would go over the patterned white milk glass?

Not questioning the suggestions here, but why have kind of a patterned fancy glass under a shade? Did it diffuse the light in a good way? Was this a 60's style to have that top inverted looking glass part?

I don't think the top is original. The lamp could even be 70s.Love the green.

Johnny, this was my first thought, too, but the hardware all seems to match perfectly (in metal type and wear) an the white piece screws in at three points, a perfect fit.

Any idea what to call this kind of lamp with the glass? Would love to see what others do shade-wise.

Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks, all!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A torchiere is one of the most popular and recognizable types of floor lamps. The name is derived from the French word for "torch," and it is identifiable by is upright, torch-like shape, with the lighting fixture pointing upward at the end of a column.

upload_2018-4-18_23-50-18.jpeg

either of these names seems proper....4 what you have now..

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I agree that the top is not original to the rest, which seems to date more to the 70s. The pair shown appear to use a harp rather than a diffuser/shade combination since you see a finial.

These diffuser fitters/shades are more a 30's-50s thing, though a few companies used them in to the 60s. They are meant to have an additional shade.

Here is a pic of a diffuser and shade in use. This is why many shades have the bend (s) in the spider arms.

[​IMG]

many people use diffusers as torchiere shades but this is not their intended use.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The inside looks like a mogul was screwed so a regular light bulb could be used inside of a larger bulb base. Looks like an older torchiere top was used on your lamp.
    greg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Christmasjoy, verybrad and Lucille.b like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I ALWAYS wondered why Id see shades with tops like that ! Now I know!

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I had not looked at the link to the base only lamp that Debora posted. Given that it is identical to the OP's, I have to think the top to both is original. This is surprising to me since it seems so incongruous. The lamp may be a bit older than we suspect. I have never seen a mogul based socket in a 70s lamp.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Lucille.b

Johnny, me too. Never understood it before!

You guys are amazing!

(Edit: Was writing this as you posted, Brad. Seems we came to a similar conclusion.)

Definitely have a lot more information plus a fantastic match. If I sell it, I'll be thrilled to get even a fraction of the 1st Dibs price.

Having the lamp in hand, coffee in hand, AND comparing it to the helpful link (which has 6 photos of all angles) I've made a few additional observations.

The lamp in the link (which seems to be a larger version of mine -- 4 green bubbles, mine has 3) seems identically wired and set up for a torchiere top.

Here is the insert in mine:

lamp8.jpg

Here is the one from the link:

alamp.jpg

So they must have intended a diffuser with this. Both have that hardware for it with 3 screw-holes to hold it tight. Whether this patterned white shade is original to mine or not remains to be seen. The fit is exact, but I imagine things were more standardized back then so a replacement is not out of the question.

After seeing the linked one I had a brief concern --what if mine was supposed to have 4 bubbles and one broke? But luckily there were measurements in the 1st Dibs one, and it stands (to the top of the torchiere fitting) to 30 inches, mine goes to 25 inches, so thinking I just have a smaller version of the lamp.

The two in Debora's photo almost seem to be redone with the metal so shinny and perfect, possibly replated. Maybe at that time they added a harp.

Thanks for the help with this.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Just as a note, the plug is a push-in replacement (think I still have a couple in my electrical parts box). Can remember some of those tall table lamps having the white glass diffusers at least into the '60s, they kept the light from shining into your eyes when seated - see them offered in resale/antique shops now without the shades and described as torchieres, looking unattractively out of proportion without a proper shade...

~Cheryl

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1st Dibs lamp and, yes, four tiered versus three. I wouldn't place this in the 1970s. (As some of us remember, the green colorway used for decoration in that decade was an olive green.) To my eye, this is part of the wave of European design influence that arrived in the U.S. in the 1960s.

Debora

FORUM Lamp.jpg

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh...Oh.Oh.....u have a ping pong table ...just like one my Dad made for me !!
    I haven't wielded a paddle in so long......it's been years......
    Can I come over ???:woot::woot::woot:

Lucille.b and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  20. Lucille.b

Oh, well done, Joan! And Debora, you read my mind!

Was searching "Paul Hanson Glass Lamp", getting a number of hits. Was about to say that these were done in different colors (just as I typed that, Debora's example came in -- thanks. :))

Also just been looking for 10 minutes now, but I've seen harp/finial, the diffuser and also a double socket style with pull cord -- all on this triple or quadruple glass base in different colors.

This is an enormous help, thank you!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted