Featured 750 gold bracelet with cameo(?)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by SBSVC, Feb 23, 2018.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I didn't add this to Bronwen's CAMEO thread, since I honestly don't know if this is considered a cameo or not.

This bracelet was given to me in the late 1980's, and I have never worn it - in fact, I had completely forgotten that I even had it. (I encountered it today while getting something else out of an old jewelry box.)

Anyway, it's 7" long, excluding the clasp "end bits", and it is clearly marked 750 and ITALY. The center "cameo part" is about 1/2" in diameter.

The bracelet itself comprises some 16-18 (I keep losing count) thin gold chain strands, held together by gold bars at both the cameo ends and the clasp ends. (I've separated some of the strands in some of the photos so you can see what it is I'm trying to explain.)

First of all, is this a cameo? Do you think it is glass? (It is cold to the touch.)

Second, do you think this was new in the 1980's, when it was given to me? The clasp isn't quite the same "lobster" I'm used to from that era, but perhaps it's still considered a lobster clasp?

Finally, any and all comments will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!
    img0 (183).jpg
    There's no damage to the cameo - the white dots are just lint or something!

Below is the back:
    img0 (184).jpg
    img0 (185).jpg
    img0 (186).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's so nice....' I'd ' almost wear it !!!

Aquitaine, SBSVC and judy like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd say new then and poured glass. Almost certainly Italian.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very elegant bracelet SBSVC.
    I am with Obb. When stones that are normally shiny, like lapis etc, have that 'sugary' look, they are nearly always glass. Since it is an Italian bracelet, cameo country Italy makes sense as manufacturer of the cameo.

For those not acquainted with different terms for gold fineness, 750 is the same as 18k.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

A cameo is defined as a carved relief, as opposed to an intaglio which is convexly carved.

Most people think of cameos as being carved from shell, such as the classic cameos @Bronwen shows. However cameos can be glass, gemstone, lava, bone, plastic or other substance.

So yes I would call your bracelet a cameo.
    Lovely piece.

Aquitaine, SBSVC, judy and 1 other person like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

It could also be jasperware. Wedgwood is known to make cameo reliefs.

Adding, it doesn't quite look like glass to me.
    Can you get a close up of it, does it have "pores" per se, like bisque. Glass would be polished smooth.
    (Not sure I explained that properly.)

Aquitaine, SBSVC, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

You did.:)
    Could be ceramic, but glass can also have that slightly roughish texture. The Czech glass cameo makers that fled to Germany make glass cameos with what I call a 'sugary' look. Many Italian faux coral cameos have the same look.
    I seem to remember Bronwen also showed lava and other materials.

Aquitaine, SBSVC, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

Thank you.
    It's early here - brain's not at full capacity.
    Still waiting for coffee to perk (and yes I have an old percolator).

tie.dye.cat, Aquitaine, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

One thing I wonder about that is whether Wedgwood ever made jasperware all one color. I've only seen the background contrasting with the relief portion (which can be one of several different colors). Have never seen them both the same color, but I'm not an expert.

clutteredcloset49 and SBSVC like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I still perk mine too! :cat:

11. Ownedbybear

It doesn't look bisque to me, which is what jasperware is.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your info and comments! They are much appreciated.

I do believe that the cameo is glass, not jasperware or anything else. Held up to the light, it is translucent (in daylight, which I didn't have last night!)

Here are a couple of daylight, closer-up shots of the cameo portion:
    img0 (187).jpg img0 (188).jpg

Thanks again!

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bracelet? Given orientation of cameo and unusual closures, I would think a watch fob.

Debora

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Debora, it's definitely a bracelet:

img0 (191).jpg

15. Any Jewelry

Gorgeous, with all that detail you can see it is beautifully made.

It could have been inspired by a watch chain, some are made of a lot of thin chains as well.

SBSVC likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

The style is Victorian Revival, so it's not unusual to emulate a watch fob. Those multiple thin strands give it away. Poured/moulded glass which has then been hand finished, hence the sharpness. I definitely think Italian.

SBSVC likes this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bronwen was very late getting sufficiently caffeinated today. All good answers without me. It is a cameo, exactly as explained, since the figure, who looks like Apollo, rises above the background in relief, rather than having been etched down into the material so the figure is below the surface. (Both types & all materials are welcome on the thread I started, but no reason this handsome bracelet should not have a thread of its own.)

It does appear to be glass, I think with a satin finish? There is a resemblance to the higher quality work of Tagliamonte (who must have one of the world's worst Internet sites.) They are not the only jewellery maker to use Venetian glass cameos/intaglios in their work. Think it was probably new when you received it. Nice gift!

18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Brownen. The TagliamontE website is indeed pretty poor, but the 1985 date (when they started making this type of cameo) and the photo of their "Classic Collection" do suggest that this might be one of theirs:
    img0 (192).jpg

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There are enough similarities to make me think they are from roughly the same time period & enough differences for me to think yours is a different maker. Yours looks better made, for starters. Tagliamonte goes with intaglios much more than cameos.

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted