800 silver ring is this coral?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by crazycatlady, Aug 28, 2021.

1. crazycatlady

crazycatlady Well-Known Member

I bought some rings on ebay as a lot, this one was described as having damaged carnelian stones...doesn't look like carnelian to me I thought coral? It's had a hard life by the look of it! Also any ideas on age welcome, thank you :happy: thumbnail_IMG_20210827_151557.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20210827_134827.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20210827_134741.jpg

Xristina and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If it is coral, it will look much better with some oil. Put a small drop of oil on your finger and rub it on the beads. Wipe the excess oil off, and please show the result.:)

The alternative could be rhodochrosite, especially since the silver fineness and style make me think it could be German. Rhodochrosite used to be a very popular stone in Germany. It is found there, and was used especially from the 1930s-1970s.

But there are some holes in the stone which suggest coral, so I think a touch of oil will help a lot in determining the stone.

Rhodochrosite
    [​IMG]

3. crazycatlady

Oh wow thank you, that's made a big difference :happy: thumbnail_IMG_20210828_122048.jpg

4. Any Jewelry

It sure has, and it's a yes for coral.:)

5. crazycatlady

It seems a piece of silver has broken off it above that top bead, didn't notice that before. Shame, but not surprising really as it's quite a delicate design.

6. Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted