835 silver question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jan 4, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

In my new pile of ‘costume’ jewellery are two strings of real pearls one with a 935 silver clasp.
    I’ve been Googling trying to find out when this mark was used in order to date the pearls. All I can find is that it’s European silver, commonly German but no dates as to when it was used.
    Any help please or guidance to a useful website!.
    Thankyou :)

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and patd8643 like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks INH :) No makers mark sadly.
    4E034E5E-0E96-4BCD-9DE7-0510E96202AF.jpeg

76540D15-5F1C-4EBD-AFB2-73FE8E961DD3.jpeg

kyratango and judy like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could you show a pic - as sharp, clear and fresh as young Brigitte Bardot ?
    problem is that many countries didn't ask for more stamps on small items.
    in Switzerland they used 935 also on pocketwatch housings because they were pee'd off by the English with their 925 fetish.

judy and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Brigitte may be a moment as she needs a good clean.....

judy likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

especially when it comes to politics...:muted:

kyratango and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

She’s had a shower and is spiffy. FB02F887-F829-446A-9EF2-A4E48B8B597B.jpeg

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

can't place to script to one of the countries, sorry.

KSW likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

All dressed up and nowhere to go!
    Thankyou for looking :)
    Do you know if 835 still used today?

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

no. 835 was a funny thing anyways; it was used by the Germans and the Swiss listed it under "800 and above" to circumvent problems with exporting. since 1933 it was strictly 800 or 925. furthermore the Swiss always put a few thousands more into it when it was for an important market... the rest was sniffing your fingers...
    open the pdf here.
    https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/de/hom...ntrolle/amtliche-pruefung-und-stempelung.html

here ze German Artikel from 2015.
    § 2
    (1) Auf goldenen Geräten darf der Feingehalt nur in 585 oder mehr Tausendteilen, auf silbernen Geräten nur in 800 oder mehr Tausendteilen angegeben werden.
    (2) Der wirkliche Feingehalt darf weder im Ganzen der Ware noch auch in deren einzelnen Bestandteilen bei goldenen Geräten mehr als fünf, bei silbernen Geräten mehr als acht Tausendteile unter dem angegebenen Feingehalt bleiben. Vorbehaltlich dieser Abweichung muß der Gegenstand im Ganzen und mit der Lötung eingeschmolzen den angegebenen Feingehalt haben.

which means that in theory you can mark 800 and more at your own pleasure but would most probably get all items officially tested before ready for selling. the big silver companies have a right to mark themselves - which is a privilege they don't want to lose.

judy and KSW like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

1888 til now, although they started switching to 925 in the early 1970s, I think.

My guess is your little Brigitte is German (also Birgitte), ca 1920. What do you think, @kyratango , @Ownedbybear ?

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou- so standard cultured pearls?

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I would say so, but I have to add, they were rather expensive in those days.

judy and kyratango like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That clasp certainly looks 20s ish. How long are they? And yes, cultured ones when they first came out were costly.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

KSW likes this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

There was and is no legal obligation to stamp. "
    "Reichsstempelung: The imperial crown (temple crown) stands for the German Empire, the crescent for silver, the fineness is given in thousandths and must be" 800 "or above"

17. Any Jewelry

Reichsstempelung roughly translates as a national mark. Very roughly.;)
    The national mark isn't obligatory, which is why many German pieces are marked with the fineness only. Nice and easy for the manufacturers, a headache for us collectors.

judy, kyratango and i need help like this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the Germans have no law they can enforce. but it stays true what I wrote above, that's the reality on the market and for fabrication.
    thanks for the translation, feeling a bit weak at the moment, I smell a whiff of snow coming.

judy and KSW like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

So am I, but there you are.
    Take good care of yourself.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    judy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I also think it's German. The .835 fineness would typically date from the 1920s or later, some manufacturers used it past the mid 20th century, it's often found on Modernist jewelry, as well as other silver, and I know prolific maker Christoph Widmann, probably best known for their version of Hildesheimer Rose flatware, used it into at least the 1980s...

As already said, German silver, after the 1884 law passed and then became mandatory in 1888, was required to be at least .800 fineness, assay was not required, marks were not required, but the crescent & crown Reichsmark indicated it met the standard, and it was stamped by the makers, the reason there is such a wide variety of different Reichsmarks (will say that every piece of German silver from the late 19th century or later that I've had tested by XRF spectrometry, including Hanau, met or exceeded .800 or the stamped fineness). Among the numeric stamps that might be found on German silver above 800 are 830, 835, 925, 935, and 950...

~Cheryl

Houseful, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted