Featured 900 Silver Wood Lined Tea Caddy

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, May 5, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on age and country of origin?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My first thought is from India. In trying to confirm this, I didn't find much. I did run across this picture that is purported to be silver tea set pieces from India that show some similarity.

[​IMG]

It was posted in a Q& A thread here about a piece with similarities that turned out to be Cambodian....... scroll down.

http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30191

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first instinct is South American, but that's an educated guess. They're into more elaborate pieces down there, and that 900 hallmark pretty sell seals the deal at least for me.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My second thought was Peru because of the mark but could not come up with anything similar.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's a Khmer cigarette/tobacco box, similar pieces were/are made in other Asian countries too. Might be silver, might be plated, Cambodian marks are often, ummm, misleading - doubt it has much age...

~Cheryl

6. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

I was thinking about "plated" too, because there is some spot at the bottom and it is not common for sterling. :cyclops:

7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

What spot ? :)
    Different purity silver will show different kind of discoloration and spots. I've seen verdigris on sterling silver.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted