Featured A Balinese Goddess in wood

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Miscstuff, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I think I have reached the stage where I appreciate the craftsmanship of an item
    despite the fact that it is almost certainly tourist ware. Also woken up to the fact
    that if you pick something up more than once you might as well buy it because
    your picker brain is saying it fits the stuff you like. This was a AU$20 item at the local vintage/antiques store and while it is not top range work it is very competently done and in good condition. I was wondering which of the goddesses she was.

@Any Jewelry help me out here. What's her name and what on earth is the vegetable (??) she's holding?:)

Data - 40.4cm (15.9") High 0.78Kg
    Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is Dewi Sri, the Goddess of rice (life-giving) and she is holding the most enormous rice ear I have ever seen.;)
    It looks like coromandel wood, which is protected now, so she has a bit of age.
    She is missing a 'spire' on the turret of her crown, but her face is nice, which is something I always look for. Examples of intact crowns are in this thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/bali-art-deco-thread.30201/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    komokwa, aaroncab, 2manybooks and 2 others like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Thanks AJ. The coromandel wood rabbit hole was interesting. The phrase "logged to extinction" crops up a lot and from what I can tell this one is probably mid century sometime although some references indicated it was still used up to the 80s. Thanks again AJ.
    Cheers
    Stephen

komokwa, aaroncab, judy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, coromandel was still used in Bali ca 1980. If I remember correctly that is when it was banned.
    Your Dewi Sri is not mid century. I think she was made just before the ban.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    komokwa, aaroncab and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted