Featured a big frame tapestry

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by jingyel, Aug 22, 2020.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello
    I came across a tapestry and want to share with you. 72.5" x 27"
    I like the topic because it shows the family scene of normal people in France.
    Any idea of the age or value? img.jpg img (1).jpg img (2).jpg img (3).jpg img (4).jpg

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

what do the threads look like on the back. There are many coming from China.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice tapestry....boring as all get out , though..........

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I don't find it "boring" -- quite the opposite I find it interesting. There is a story behind (or rather in) the tapestry.

Do the architecture and furnishings and occupants (including the dog) not put a "what is happening here" feeling in you?

I want to know if the dog had to leave the house immediately and if the little/young girl in the first photo and third photo may have opened the door to let the dog in on purpose. There's a story there if only we knew the "facts" as the artist meant it.;)

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

6. jingyel

I did some research on antique tapestry. The the topic of higher priced will have the popular topic of 1) fairy tales, 2) historical moments like king and queens, 3) religious. Compared to those, I think it depicted a normal citizen's life. Weather, yes, but not extraordinary.

7. jingyel

I like those details: the porcelain on the shelf, the scene through the window, the texture on the front door. I wish I could have such piece in my dining room.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I like it too:)

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be considered a genre scene. Every day people going about their every day lives. And the dog represents martial fidelity.

Debora

Christmasjoy and jingyel like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!!! ... Joy. :):):)

judy likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think the setting is France. Outside the door there appears to be a canal. I suspect the setting is a bourgeois household in Amsterdam. (And I know, I know. Other cities in Northern Europe have canals.)

Debora

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, an extremely Dutch scene. I don't think Amsterdam, but one of the smaller trading towns. Many of the paintings with these rather narrow, tree-lined canals are from places like Delft.
    Amsterdam canals often had no trees in those days, like the Herengracht in 1685:

[​IMG]

You can see nice Chinese porcelain in the tapestry, something many well-to-do Dutch households had at the time. The furniture also looks Dutch.
    If you see a 17th century picture of a non-aristocratic household, it is almost always Dutch. This tapestry is not 17th century though, only the subject is. I think this is early 20th century.
    The Netherlands were the first modern republic, and they had just kicked out a noble family that had turned from Netherlandish to Spanish royalty in one generation. Unlike other Europeans, they weren't big on celebrating anything to do with aristocracy. The new nation was largely built by non-aristocrats and they were proud of it. Which means they only paid for paintings etc that either portrayed them, or Biblical and allegorical subjects.
    The Dutch merchant class were the richest in Europe, often more wealthy than the aristocracy of other European nations.
    Doors and windows were often open when the wheather allowed. Some houses had those half doors, so the top half could open and the lower half stayed shut.
    The dog would have been a household pet, it wouldn't have been allowed to wander the streets.;) The little girl seems to be calling it to play with her, but it is looking towards its master.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  13. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Dutch scene would make sense as a lot of tapestries came from Belgium. Sure would like to see the back and the threads!

14. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

The more I look - the more interesting it becomes. I do get the feel that it isn't "new"... I agree with the canal and a more Belgian/Amsterdam feel. I love the barley twist furniture... the HUMUNGOUS clock... the huge windows... the curtain on the tiled fireplace (another vote for Amsterdam)... the servant?... the little girl and the dog...and the couple...the ruffled figures in the paintings...the carved ornate door and "sideboard"?...the massive urn on the mantle! For being a "simple" looking tapestry...there is a lot of detail! One thing I notice is the proportion... whomever designed it paid a lot of attention to 15/1600's "things"... the chairs are unusually short as they would have been then...and the massive clock. The ruffs in the painting are 15/1600's. IS the painting peeking out behind the mantle a windmill? Hmmm.... a LOT going on in this one! I really like it!

Cheerio
    Leslie

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is.:)
    A Chinese porcelain vase.;)

Just curious, why do you think Belgian or Amsterdam rather than the smaller Dutch towns?

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  16. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

We have seen this type of jacquard woven "tapestry" before. In terms of value, I will quote a comment from the Antiques Roadshow that I posted before:

Antiques Roadshow has a webpage on things they commonly see. Included is an example of these jacquard woven tapestries:
    [​IMG]

Their commentary: "These are some of the most often-seen objects by ROADSHOW's Textiles experts. While these tapestries can look hand-woven to the untrained eye, they were woven by machine primarily in France, Belgium, or Italy during the first half of the 20th century, with examples still manufactured today. In general these pieces tend to be quite small — ranging in size from 18x36 inches to 36x48 inches — and often depict interior or exterior genre scenes, exotic scenes from the Near East, or are reproductions of earlier hand-woven tapestries. They tend to be fairly muted in color — faded looking — and will have a much less distinct pattern on the back then they do on the face. The biggest clue to determining if a tapestry, table cover or coverlet is a jacquard is if it is labeled or stamped on the back with a country of origin. While these tapestries were extremely popular decorative accessories during the early 20th century, they were made in extremely large quantities and do not have much secondary market value today. Unfortunately, they are rarely worth more than $100."
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/stories/articles/2012/6/4/things-we-commonly-see-roadshow

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya........cuz they're boring !:yawn:

18. Northern Lights Lodge

Oh, it certainly could be a smaller Dutch town... not all that familiar with where the canals are located. Delighted it is a windmill peeking out! LOL... ok...Chinese porcelain vase!
    Still think it is a great piece! Is it faded much??
    Leslie

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

They were made faded, to fit in with the Historic Revival style which was still preferred by those who were not in favour of the more fashionable styles of the early 20th century. It could have faded a bit, but not much.

20. Northern Lights Lodge

Draft saved Draft deleted