A Bit Of Help With An "Imari" Punchbowl.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Adrian Lewis, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

To me, this is a European piece, possibly English, the colours Mason's style, ad with those numbers on the base. The colours are "Imari" but the decoration is not what one would call Chinoiserie for an Imari bowl and with the a strangely added wine flask/s it is not the normal Japanese or European Imari pattern or decorative style. Possibly 18thC/early 19thC in the infancy of English/European Imari interpretation? 17" Dia 10" tall. TIA.

upload_2020-7-22_20-42-46.png

upload_2020-7-22_20-43-13.png

upload_2020-7-22_20-45-53.png

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not 18thc imo, more like Victorian

judy, Penelope and Adrian Lewis like this.
  3. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

I can go with that. Torn between the two due to lack of back stamp or impressed/incised marks.

judy likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

A few things, I don't see any photo of the base so don't really know what numbers might be.

Is it really 17" in diameter? That's huge!

I don't think it's a wine flask decoration I think it's a vase. The pattern on the side shows a vase with peonies (I think they're peonies). I think the pattern on the inside has been so worn/faded that the flowers are gone.

judy and Adrian Lewis like this.
  5. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

Apologies, I thought |I had included the base. Yes agree that the decoration is a vase not a wine flask.

upload_2020-7-23_16-13-47.png

judy likes this.
  6. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

I think it's a Staffordshire punch bowl c.1835-1860. JMHO

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think English 19th C. also. I did do a bit of looking using the number as well as the pattern for a similar pattern with that type vase/urn but didn't find anything helpful in browsing. I suspect the pattern could be found on a more common item such as a plate that might have even have a more complete mark or ID.

If it's 17" diameter it's rather massive. I have a weakness for punch bowls (no idea why) and have at least a dozen, mostly 18th C.

Adrian Lewis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted