Featured A caveat of selling vintage jewelry....

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Raccoon1977, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Raccoon1977

Raccoon1977 Well-Known Member

So just to start a discussion, I have found a caveat for me and was wondering if others felt the same way. I’ve been selling vintage jewelry for about five years now, been in jewelry business in some way since I was 16 (so about 28 years). I used to find so much more jewelry that was exotic and unusual than I do now. Take Damascene for instance, I used to love it and now it’s just something to sell. I still think it’s pretty but it’s not unusual anymore. My mom will ask me about an item that I have on eBay up for auction, and I reply to her that “it’s OK“. She says “is it not pretty?” And I tell her that no - it is but I’ve seen so much of it, it’s just, “common” (said in an uppity British accent - cause redneck just doesn’t have the same effect). Has anybody else experienced this? I look for what sells but there’s not much that I want to keep anymore (well that I can afford at least). I’m trying hard not to be a jewelry snob, I know there is something for every taste. Mine is just stuff that isn’t mass produced.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think the internet is to fault. Antiques and collectibles have turned into commodities. Everything is readily available; nothing seems rare or unusual anymore.

Debora

3. Raccoon1977

Definitely partially in my case, but getting the same piece 5x makes me less interested in that particular type item. That, and it doesn’t sell as well.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What I am hearing you say is that over the years your knowledge and experience have grown. You have been exposed to more and more jewelry, your taste and your appreciation for design and workmanship have grown. It's natural, you and your business are evolving.

I feel that very much with cameos. Once Bronwen started her thread I started to look at them closely and I now have become much more picky about what I buy.

I used to buy and sell more common costume pieces, now I look for special pieces. Yes, I am not buying as much and often the better items take longer to sell, but they sell for a higher price. I do try to carry a mix but I find I am much more likely to pass on a costume lot because I just don't want to carry the more common items anymore.

wenna, Fid, judy and 9 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Well put @Marie Forjan!.
    Agree about Cameos. I’m now ruined for anything that isn’t seriously classy :rolleyes:

judy, Lucille.b, Houseful and 5 others like this.
  6. Raccoon1977

That is a great way to put it! And I didn’t think of it that way. I was thinking about the first lot I purchased- it had some nice, solid pieces, but it was all costume. I probably wouldn’t look twice at it now.

judy, Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

This is collecting. You buy, you learn, you decide what you like has changed and/or you find a better example. The great thing is that it can be a self financing hobby!

Fid, Any Jewelry, judy and 9 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My work here is done. :D

lvetterli, wenna, Fid and 17 others like this.
  9. Raccoon1977

Haha, I kinda look at it as getting “free” jewelry- I mean if you get to keep something out of a lot that you made a profit on, the person basically paid you to take that item, amiright?

Any Jewelry, judy, Lucille.b and 5 others like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

11. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

First and foremost, I am a 'collector' and an 'admirer' and I've been so for 50+ years. I am not into antiques for profit-sake or to earn money from them even though the items I have also have a value. I am not alone with this, as most of my clients (when I've sold) are collectors 'first' too. One only needs to look at eBay to see countless sellers after nothing else but money, and that is their only interest. It is also true, that if you only purchase to make money, you are more likely to lose money... I'm sure that most on here would agree. There are far too many these days, who care not for the items they have, except for its price tag. They learn nothing, they appreciate nothing, a pot is just a pot and a necklace is just something to hang around your neck... at a price.

judy, Bronwen, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

One thing that I have found now that I buy to sell, when I am buying for me I have become seriously cheap! It's hard to pay retail when trolling estate sales, auctions, etc. turns up bargains :oops:

Any Jewelry, judy, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What’s that? ;):stop::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy, Bronwen, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

My old dad told me to never ever pay retail.

judy, stracci, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It really pains me when I have to give in and buy full price. I search for discount codes and shop around.
    I’ve recently discovered some people on Facebook pages are sponsored by different companies and they often have discount codes to give away. Saved £81 on OHs metal detector for his birthday from some random bloke on a FB page!. I know they get kickbacks but the discount was from a great company I was thinking of buying from anyway.

Any Jewelry, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  16. Raccoon1977

I am totally with you! My hubby got so mad at me because I told him I didn’t want to go to the jewelry store because it was too expensive.... I mean seriously, you can usually find something way nicer for what you had planned on spending. Not rocket science!!

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Something needed by the three blind mice?

KSW, judy, Ownedbybear and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

A friend had a very expensive platinum and diamond ring made as an engagement thing. £1750. When the engagement was called off, he was only offered £250 for it. I bought it from him for £300. If he'd bought a nice old ring, it would have kept its value at the least.

komokwa, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  19. melissa washburn

melissa washburn New Member

I've been selling costume jewelry for a couple yrs still a lot to learn, I usually buy the bulk lots on ebay like 10 &20 lbs n untangle n clean n research it , where is a better place than ebay to get affordable ( for a reseller) to buy vintage costume estate jewelry by the pounds? I know other sellers are finding it elsewhere but I can't figure it out, im in a rural area, so there aren't a lot of large estate sales around that have bulk costume jewelry . Can anyone help?

20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

he might still have saved more than the loss on the ring in the end.

Raccoon1977, Ownedbybear and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted