Featured A cool find today and a few Q's - Honing Stone

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Rayo56, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Needed to hone some blades today and remembered I had my Dad's honing stone. Never really looked under the cover before but noticed the carving - how cool is this? In 1934 he was 9. Damn have times changed - you give a 9 year old today a knife and a honing stone you are going to jail!!!!!!!!!!
    Anybody know anything about honing stones? Are they always good to go or do you need to clean off the old layers of oils??????

000_5148.jpg 000_5149.jpg 000_5150.jpg 000_5152.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Not needing to work on a whetstone, I did not delve into the search results. Not sure which one you mean. Is it a video or photo? I used to love the smell of the oil on my dad's whetstone, which lived in a wooden box & was probably one of the things he had owned the longest among the items at his workbench.

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oh no, I meant my last picture in the post with My Dad's last name and the date (I presume) it was given to him carved into the underneath of the top......

antidiem, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

When I first looked at your post, the pix were blocked.

It's similar to my dad's, but my dad's was probably from the 40s & box, a light colored wood, was still immaculate by the time I was old enough to pay attention & ever after. He did precision work & was very, very careful with his tools. He apprenticed in making artificial limbs when they were wood & leather, then moved to GM as a model maker. After he died I found a box of mementos from his youth that I had never seen. Woodworking seems to have been his best subject.

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yeah - I hate "mementos" - that's when you realize they are really gone from your life!

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

From the pics it looks like you have an arkansas stone there - it can be cleaned up with odorless paint thinner and back when I used one of these regularly old timers said they could be gently heated to get rid of the old clogged oil.

antidiem, Christmasjoy, judy and 4 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

My father didn't talk about himself unless you asked him directly & then you wouldn't get much unless you kept probing. I would have loved to see these things - some report cards, a letter, in verse, from his grandmother telling him now that he was moving on to high school, he would need to work harder in other subjects besides woodworking, a couple of children's books, a baseball, a mortarboard tassel - when I was a kid myself. I had no idea of their existence. After he died, I learned things about him I never knew from older family members. As I said, you had to ask directly, & who would ever think to ask, Dad, when you were a kid, could you pick up bees without being stung? An enigma in a mystery.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I am so thrilled to have a couple of items my Dad carved....since my brothers seemed to wind up with much of his things.....but I got the cat head....the glass eyes he inset follow you around the room!! And a fireplace poker that I don't actually use as I wouldn't want to burn it...but he carved the fish on the handle.... they'll get passed along to the younger ones....he was a man of many talents....so, yeah, I'd treasure it Rayo56, especially since he was probably only 9 when he did it!!!! NICE!!!

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have my Dads stone.....& a lot of his tools..:happy::happy::happy:

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I found quite a few oilstones/whetstones at my workshop today, and some carborundum stone, they belonged to other Dads.

The bench grinder does the job in seconds.

20200607_152453.jpg

20200607_152459.jpg

Bronwen, Aquitaine and Rayo56 like this.
  13. Aquitaine

No they're not....they're always with you.....in one way or another!!:happy::happy:

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well in memories and pictures, yes. But nothing can beat the face to face. My Dad and I would shoot the shit for hours on his back porch...... gonna be 2 years this June 28th, hard to believe.........

all_fakes, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  15. Aquitaine

I'm so sorry Rayo, it really doesn't get easier, I find.....it just settles in, along with the comfort that we can always talk to them....just hurts that they can't .... to us....

all_fakes and Rayo56 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted