A couple of antique chinese necklaces and a possible antique japanese button

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Wavedecanter, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

20220330_143601.jpg 20220330_143643.jpg 20220330_143813.jpg 20220330_143759.jpg 20211029_195755.jpg 20211029_195817.jpg 20220330_143601.jpg 20220330_143643.jpg 20220330_143813.jpg 20220330_143759.jpg 20211029_195755.jpg 20211029_195817.jpg
    Can anyone help me identify these pieces I own?
    The one with purple link chains I am almost certain is amethyst, probably early 20th century?

The green necklace I bought the past weekend. Was helping it was Jade but I doubt it now (there's something akin to a scratch on it that can be seen in one of the pictures on the fan pendant).
    It seems like an early 20th century piece? Can't find anything of the sort online, not with the beading and minimalist carved pendant. There seems to be a tiny green beed as stopper on the end.

The circular object looks to be a button, I thought it might be be Netsuke originally but it seems too flat and I can't dissasemble it as you be able to with a similarly shaped Netsuke. It is very pretty.

judy likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Is the "jade" pendant dirty or is there a lot of air bubbles in it? Jade can be scratched fairly easy.

judy likes this.
  3. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

Hi there. No bubbles that I can see, which I would equate to it being glass if there where. The scratches I mention may be scuffs or something of the type, they can be identified as tiny light yellow marks in the closup picture, as if maybe a surface graze caused a change in colour. Kind of strange. I'm not sure though.

Ultimately I may be wrong and this material is indeed glass? Just doesn't seem vitrious.

judy likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Is the "amethyst" chain cooler to the touch? Quartz feels cooler than man made materials. I really can't fathom though how a quartz crystal like amethyst could be cut successfully in this fashion. But I am no jewelry expert, so just my thoughts.

Pat Dennis likes this.
  5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Photographing the link necklace on a white background would be really helpful

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

It is cool to the touch, very light. I based my assesment that it was amethyst on something similar I think I came across but I would have to make sure because I don't quite remember now. It may have been other material. Ir I come across it I will share the link

Thank you for the tip! Will upload appropriate image later today

KikoBlueEyes and stracci like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Looking forward to seeing it.

Wavedecanter likes this.
  8. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

20220401_181222.jpg 20220401_181307.jpg 20220401_181335.jpg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

I see seams in each link of the purple pieces and no natural color variations that come with stone. Generally, stone would be described as heavy not light. I will leave it to others more knowledgeable than I to make the final determination, but I don't think it is amethyst.

download (5).jpg

kyratango and stracci like this.
  10. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

I see what you mean. It could be glass but I doubt it

I will look at the piece more thoroughly but what appear to be seams may just be some type of visual distortion.

Edit: no seams present that I can find. Do you know the style of chinese jewelry I am alluding to? What you see as seams are visual occurences created by the transparent and reflective nature of the material

Also gem quality amethyst does not have colour variations it is my understanding. And relative to the levity of the piece it is taking into consideration the size of the links, as well as the fact that amethyst is not a stone per say

Could be lavender jadeite?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  11. Hollyblue

Gem quality amethyst does have color variations and is a semi precious gemstone. The chain does not appear to be any type of jade.

kyratango, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

Thanks for the information. Always interesting to delve what would you say it is made of? And any idea what the other piece might be made of, rough date?

Not arguing for the sake of my item but here it is stated that finest quality amethyst has no zoning

https://www.gia.edu/amethyst-quality-factor

It used to be an outright precious stone until large deposits where found in Brazil

this is the type of piece I was thinking is part of the same 'tradition'? Maybe I'm way off. I know it's a not traditional qing dynasty necklace
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/784248-1351/Antique-Chinese-Qing-Dynasty-Carved-Nephrite

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  13. stracci

Maybe you are referring to this style of jade carving known as "devil's work".
    If your necklace is really carved amethyst, I don't think it would have common glass seed beads as part of the final design, but rather would have fine gold spacer beads and clasp.
    It is pretty though!!

GIA-Certified-Natural-Jadeite-Jade-Set-pic-1A-720_10.10-519-727272.png

14. Hollyblue

Gem quality amethyst does have color variations,but they don't have color zoning.

Wavedecanter likes this.
  15. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

Fascinating. What a beautiful piece and what a great name for the type of piece

kyratango and stracci like this.
  16. Wavedecanter

Wavedecanter Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    KikoBlueEyes and stracci like this.
  17. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

Just for the sake of discussion: Carving a linked chain from any hard mineral would be very labor-intensive and therefore, very expensive. Would a carved stone chain be attached with a cord to make a necklace? Sometimes we get caught up looking only at the leaves and not the whole tree to identify. Very easy to do.

Wavedecanter and stracci like this.
  18. stracci

My thoughts exactly.
    Fine gems are usually set into fine gold.
    A quick look at metals and craftsmanship is usually a good indicator when the stone is in question.

Wavedecanter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted