Featured A couple of larger antique silver (?) spoons

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What can you tell me, would the first one be silver or coin silver? Age?

Guessing the 2nd spoon marked 830S is 83% silver and possibly Danish?

Thanks! :) (Got some reflections in the photos.)

SPOON #1

spo3.jpg

spo3b.jpg
    spo5.jpg

SPOON #2

spoon3.jpg

spoon3a.jpg

spoon3b.jpg
    spoon4.jpg

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

First is American coin, second Norwegian - give me a few minutes to feed the very annoying kitties, then I'll look up a couple of things and give you more...

~Cheryl

3. Lucille.b

Thanks, Cheryl. Definitely feed the cats first! :cat::cat::cat::cat:

4. DragonflyWink

#1 - Pseudo-marks attributed to Albany maker Hall & Hewson, 1820s-'40s, retailed by John Hatch Chedell of Auburn, NY.

#2 - It's a fairly common Norwegian Rococo-inspired pattern, produced by a few makers with slight variations - David Andersen introduced their version in 1894, called 'Rokokko'. I'm aggravated because the marks are so familiar, but I can't seem to pull them up from my deteriorating memory - will leave it alone for a while, and it might come back, or someone else will know...

~Cheryl

5. Lucille.b

Thank you, Cheryl. That's a ton of info, and I really appreciate you sharing your expertise. Very helpful. Hope you have a nice Sunday. :):singing::kiss::joyful:

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hope you don't mind going off topic slightly. Are you still feeding any of the small family of cats that were outside (mother and kittens) a couple of years ago? You did give an update on them later, but I don't even remember what you named them and doing a search in this site on "kittens" or "cats" would not work very well. :cat:

bercrystal and Lucille.b like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

Before a quick hijacking of the thread for kitty talk, I am still unable to come up with a maker for the Norwegian spoon, quite a bit of my Norwegian silver goes unidentified, and it's not a problem for me, but this one taunts me. I am exhausted these days, with much to do, complicated by over three weeks of dealing with an incredible number of service and technical reps, an obnoxious hacker, one related theft (recovered my funds), with some police and FBI reports (quick warning, HP printer apps can be a problem) - it's all definitely affected my concentration.

Thanks for asking about the kitties (Mama-kitty, Bart & Lisa), Fig. Time flies, Lisa is now six years old, her Mama only a few months older, my sweet baby Bart suddenly disappeared a couple of years ago, he was a homebody, feel sure a coyote got him, his mom and sister missed him, and I still do. Also had members their extended family (the colony originated 30+ years ago at my neighbor's, he still puts out food for them, but little else), lovely old Uncle Joe disappeared, just recently the same with Ringo, a new addition is a young adult full-feral named Tipper, he's very timid, but can talk to him from a couple of feet away now, so there's hope he may come around. My ex's three cats (originally 5, but two very old girls passed) have been here for a year now, further complicating my life, but I've known them all their lives and love them - though the ex is on my 'list' at the moment...

And to finish off the hijack, a pick of Mama-kitty, Bart & Lisa relaxing together, taken a bit before we lost Bart:

mama-bart-lisa.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, thank you, Cheryl! Six years? Wow, time does fly. Now I remember that you mentioned Bart had disappeared. Sounds like you have plenty of company now. Maybe that helps to get you through the other events in your life lately. Wow!

bercrystal and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Awww! Beautiful cats! :cat:

Cheryl, you've been incredibly helpful with the spoons. I'm good to go. I'm holding them for a bit so if something pops up in your mind even weeks from now, you can share, but I'm good to go for now. So sorry to hear about hacking and what must be awful stress. Hopefully all resolved.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted