A Coupleouple of Different Items!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi! I found a nifty little collection of 'things' in a pretty little lidded 'basket'.....four pieces of "Greek" glass that had a piece of paper Mom or someone had written "Old, old, old"....no idea if that's true....looking sideways at them they are clear, but it's hard to show that in the pictures....the backs look frosted....they are identical....each is 1 7/8" tall, 1 15/16" across and 3/8" thick....the larger picture I embedded a small handheld sideways picture for showing the clarity...as best I could.

Second item is a broken necklace that was in the basket....end to end 27" long.... wondering what it's made of????? There's a double thread running through it....also two clasps were with it...."looks" like it says 10K on the backs, but it's not very clear. The third item is a cute but unused looking mini buttermold stamp only 2 7/8" long. Will post the basket later....dogs are screaming it's their dinnertime!!!! Looking for advice and your input on the other items though!!!! As ALWAYS thanks for all of your input, each and every one of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy: And I'm not sure what order they will post in.................

ButtermoldStamp2.jpg GreekGlass1.jpg GreekGlass2.jpg GreekGlassPieces-4.jpg GreekGlassSideView.jpg Necklace1.jpg Necklace2.jpg Necklace3.jpg Necklace4.jpg NecklaceClasps.jpg

quirkygirl and Pedro Santos like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the glass depicts an Egyptian ....nice find.

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The beads appear to be amber. Try the static electricity test. Rub them with a cat then see if they pick up tiny pieces of torn up paper.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

The cat will pick up the paper?
    ;)

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. afantiques

Only if you train it. Meanwhile the plural objects of the sentence will be the active participants. If the cat was the active participant the plurals would not be appropriate.

PS the glass looks a bit Lalique-y but so did the glass of many imitators and Lalique is usually signed on the bottom.

6. KingofThings

;)

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Didn't your folks have some nice art/antiques? The glass is interesting, wait for others to comment.

On the beads, I am not an expert in this exact thing, but I've seen amber beads ("prayer beads"?) selling very well. I think that beads that look similar can be described as "egg yolk" amber, or "butterscotch" amber. You can see many under Ebay Completed/Sold. So number one would be determining what the exact material/age of these are. If you can determine that's what this is, check Ebay and you'll see what I mean. I'm not sure of AF's cat trick, but determining if they are amber will be your first step. I have to say, they look kind of promising.

Shocking to see the prices some of this amber gets. It is weighed, like gold! Finger's crossed!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

That's a butter pat mold in a thistle design.

--- Susan

9. Aquitaine

Af, is there anything else I can rub the beads with besides a cat?? My neighbor already sometimes thinks I'm a little wacko....I can see her taking her 20 y/o cat & running the OTHER way if I ask her something like that:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:???

AND since I used up my 10 pictures, I posted the basket in a new link, same forum!!

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

And YES, my Mom had some VERY nice and cool stuff.....but we 3 siblings are of the age where NO WAY could we keep it all OR much of it, so most of it went to auction. I HAVE to stop bemoaning and saying "oh, I wish I hadn't...." but it had to go.....if not then.....then eventually.....and besides, there are 3 of us, and I was seeing to it that it was being done amicably....and it DID all work out!!!! So, still keeping the peace!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Just noticed in the Thread title.....couldn't write worth a damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. KingofThings

Saw it and liked that 'word' so stand by for me to utilize it at some point. ;)

Aquitaine likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

BTW.....just weighed the necklace....35 grams...on the button!!...sure hope they're the real amber butterscotch egg yolk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):) I thought it was one of Mom's neat little "junque" piles!!!!! Still might be.........BUT.....

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Hey Af!!!! How about rubbing the necklace on an inflated balloon???? Would THAT work????

KingofThings likes this.
  15. afantiques

You can rub the amber with any cloth, to give it a static electrical charge. Silk is good. You can find tests for amber online. The colour variations in your beads llooked natural.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Shortbread stamp, not butter, hence the thistle. Sold widely here.

Butterscotch amber is eight times the price of gold. Nice find. Try a UV on it, it's fairly definitive - you'll get a sort of blue veil effect.

Egyptian style glass, probably French, 1920s Revival.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The Egyptian glass could be recent. Pressed glass "jewels" were being produced in the '80s. They were available through stained glass suppliers at least... don't know who else.

KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  19. Aquitaine

WOW!!!! Thank you ALL for ALL of the HELP and SUGGESTIONS!!!! WILL try the UV light first as I think it's the handiest!! OBB....what would one have done with those little glass Egyptian glass pieces, any ideas???

KingofThings likes this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is a box I made that uses a moon face pressed glass jewel in the lid:
    [​IMG]

Somewhere I have have an iridized scarab, that I intended to use, but never got around to the project. Crafty types could use stuff like that in any number of projects.

Draft saved Draft deleted