Featured A Curious Vintage Spice Rack???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MacMorrighan, Jul 22, 2017.

1. MacMorrighan

MacMorrighan Active Member

[​IMG]

Hey guys, I'll try and include a photo of a precious vintage spice rack that I bought some years ago (wish me luck!). I actually sniped it out from under an old farmer at a local rummage sale, which made it all the more delicious; also, because there was no tag I got it for 25-cents! The front row of vintage spice jars I found last year at a garage sale quite inexpensively, though one is missing a glass topper. :( All of these glass jars were made in Korea, so I'm surprised these jars aren't still being reproduced by someone!

The rack, itself, is a bit unusual. I've been searching for others like it on-line to no avail. It's a quarter of a circle with little rounded brass posts a couple inches in height and a thin brass bar to hold the jars in place. At the top are slits for utensils! Ultimately, I'd like to find three more of these--or even have the following contraption made--so that I can affix all four spice racks together (not sure how!), remove the wooden utensil slots portion of wood, place it atop a lazy suzan and then slide a utensil crock down into the opening in the center of the joined spice racks! What do you think?

Sadly, I live back at home with my brother and our Mom and she hates the sight of anything vintage, so I have to keep it thoroughly out of sight. She says, "I grew up with that crap, and I hated it then! I don't want it anywhere around me, now." :p Such is the spice of life...

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and judy like this.
  2. MacMorrighan

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Good deal! :) just wondering why sniping it from under "an old farmer" made it more delicious, Yes...my father was an old farmer :)

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bobsyouruncle, I love your play on words -- "an old farmer" . . . "more delicious."

Yessiree bobtail, "farmers" and "delicious" go hand-in-hand (from the farmer's hands toiling in the soil to the "hand that feeds" to the "hand to mouth" which enjoys the fruits of the farmer's labor) and all the way (it would seem) to the "foot in mouth." ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Depends........
    ;)

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

prefer Tranquility ATN's..................:yuck::yuck:

8. KingofThings

Ha!!!!!
    'Tranquility'
    Do they exude a reaction much as in; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?
    ;)

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have to admit that I had to look up alternatives to Depends..............I know nothing about these things (YET!!), but could not resist a comeback................

now its off to sleep. I was up all night playing patty pans on a whim...............I now have meals ready for the next week. I hate cooking for one, its so inefficient and uneconomical, so when i get the urge to let the microwave take a week long holiday, I cook up a storm....................

10. MacMorrighan

KingofThings likes this.
  11. MacMorrighan

So, here's the pic.

Attached Files:

12. MacMorrighan

Oh, because around here "the old farmers" have a lot more money than most folks, so they tend to scavenge these sales for precious antiques. I, on the other hand, am dirt poor, so finding the occasional treasure is meaningful to me. :) Plus, the farmer in question told me that if he'd seen it, he'd have bought it!

13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like the "old farmer" with all his money may have realized how much you wanted it. ;) Just sign me off as a "Pollyanna."

Now here's a true story on how to be grateful: Daddy was in Sunday School when the class was asked (as they were each Sunday) what they were grateful for that previous week: Daddy had accidentally run his old hand-mower over a hornets' nest and had been stung 13 times. When asked what he was grateful for he answered (in all seriousness) that he was glad they stung him only 13 times. ;) :D

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice collection of spices, MacMorrighan! The bottles are not all that old - 70's or 80's perhaps? Definitely within my adult lifetime. You said "made in Korea?" Is that information "in the mold?

15. MacMorrighan

Yes, he did realize that I wanted it and that I have good tastes, too. He hadn't even seen it and walked right past it just before I snatched it out from out under him. :)

Cute story! I'd have said something more tongue-in-cheek about being grateful I wasn't stung anywhere "sensitive"? LOL!

judy and KingofThings like this.
  16. MacMorrighan

Yup, printed on the bottom of each bottle. Hmmmm....if they are as recent as that, I'm surprised that I haven't found them everywhere a dime a dozen! :p Heck, the rack itself seems unique, only in the sense that I haven't seen another like it.....yet. And, I want at least three more. :) Though, let me tell you: Those original gold labels--whatever adhesive was on them--was made to stay stuck! It took me forever to remove them using hot soapy water and alcohol to remove them over at least a solid week! Eek! :p

KingofThings likes this.
  17. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Sadly I can't see the rack. I see a metal piece there but the bottles are in the way. If you want help to try to find others we need to be able to see it.:)

KingofThings likes this.
  18. KingofThings

But you then didn't use the button you did finally see???
    :p;)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted