Featured A few questions about stamped sterling ...creamer (?)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First off, would I call this a "creamer"? About 2 1/4 inches tall

Second, can anyone ID this maker's stamp?

Finally, there are three very dark spots inside the bowl (see last photos) and these do NOT seem to polish out at all. I put simichrome on 3 times with a fair amount of pressure and it didn't seem to do anything at all. What could be going on there? Is there any remedy you can think of?

Thanks!

as4.jpg

as7.jpg
    Black reflection is the camera...

as7b.jpg

asmark.jpg

asmark2.jpg

as3.jpg

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Look at those cute feet!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those dark spots might be acid burns where someone tested it.

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Bookahtoo, I like your "cute feet" comment.

I must admit that I like the "knobby knees" above those "cute feet" :rolleyes: ;)

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you, Cheryl. :) (Hope you are hanging in there with your cat visitors!)

Great to have the maker.

This was out at the thrift, marked "Sterling" clear as day. They never ever put silver out so not sure what the deal was. Was happy to find it.

Thanks to all comments. I also love the feet and knees, lol. Almost looks like it might go running off of the table at any moment...!

So back to those black spots. Got frustrated when the simichrome did absolutely nothing. If I could see it was starting to get smaller even a tiny bit I would have stuck with it, but it seemed like it wasn't having any result at all. Is it possible the inside of the bowl is coated with something other than silver? Seems unlikely, but does have sort of muted look. (See picture above). Less shiny if you see what I mean.

cxgirl, i need help and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHA!!! I was going to say "look at those cute little knees"!!!!! And then I read the other comments and see that @yourturntoloveit already beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I know it might sound crazy, but wonder if someone might have had it around when putting hair spray on their hair.....that could make it difficult to clean! Just a thought...........

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Normally, I use Hagerty's Silver Foam to clean sterling and it works fine most of the time. But from time to time, I've had a black mark like this and the only thing that works for me is Maas Creme paste that comes in a tube. It always works but might require a lot of work. Be warned, your spot should come out, but then you're stuck with cleaning the entire inside again (with the Maas) because your spot will be super shiny but the rest will not be. Hope that works for you.

Edit: if you buy some Maas, be careful when using on silver plated items.

cxgirl, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Well, after googling, it seems that Maas and Simichrome are very similar products. Wish I could send you a dollop of Maas just to try before buy.

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted