Featured A Few "Wednesday Wonders" - Art Deco glass lamps.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ritzyvintage, Jan 27, 2021.

1. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

upload_2021-1-27_14-21-59.png
    Here are a few more of my Art Deco period lamps produced by a variety of makers. I hope they brighten Your day :)

It was commonplace for numerous glass sculptures & figurines to be provided with lamp bases by the retailers and/or the end-users of the day. Only a small few glass producing factories made their own lamp fixtures & fittings, or commissioned them to be manufactured. Existing glass candlestick patterns & bases of comports were also quickly adapted into lamp-bases such as the "Three Graces" example as shown below.

This first example is by Sabino, France...

upload_2021-1-27_14-49-46.png

upload_2021-1-27_14-50-7.png

2. ritzyvintage

upload_2021-1-27_14-51-4.png
    Maker unknown - Czechoslovakia

upload_2021-1-27_14-52-34.png
    "Three Graces" by Walther & Sohnne, Germany.​

3. ritzyvintage

upload_2021-1-27_14-54-25.png
    "Isadora! by Sabino, France.
    upload_2021-1-27_14-55-7.png

4. ritzyvintage

upload_2021-1-27_14-55-43.png
    Cambridge, USA.
    upload_2021-1-27_14-56-44.png
    Riedel, Germany.
    upload_2021-1-27_14-58-8.png

upload_2021-1-27_14-58-28.png

5. ritzyvintage

6. ritzyvintage

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

do you mean August Walther & Söhne ?

sabre123 and judy like this.
  8. ritzyvintage

ooops! My typo error :(

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

no pröblem

judy likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My gosh,you have a museum in your house ! Id love to see it all in place !

Fid, ritzyvintage, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I second that johnny:)
    beautiful pieces ritzyvintage, thanks for sharing them:)

ritzyvintage and sabre123 like this.
  12. ritzyvintage

Ha! I used to have 9 IKEA all-glass cabinets with lights, but even those got filled up quickly. Shelf space is always a problem for most collectors, and even more so now I've moved to a smaller premises, but what can I do? I have quite a few items stored in boxes which is hardly ideal, and because I'm addicted to glass I cannot stop purchasing... I kid you not, I've parted with some 1500+ items these past 15 years alone, and so what I am left with is just a small fraction. I've also donated items to several museums, galleries and World Trade Centres. You have to understand that I've been an avid collector for 45+ years and I was also a glass blower. It as been my life... however, there are certainly collectors I know who have a vast amount of items too.

13. ritzyvintage

Sharing items with others is an important way of learning, Just like I still learn from you other guys from the items you all collect... It should be encouraged in my opinion.

14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You sure do have a lot of this stuff!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. ritzyvintage

Not enough! :)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That one with the panthers.... The lady with no clothes was an "oops" at first, but she's pretty. Still like the kitties, naturally since I was raised by cats.

johnnycb09 and ritzyvintage like this.
  17. ritzyvintage

You have a good eye for quality :) The "Group of Panthers" is quite special with a good distribution of opalescence throughout the glass.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Mostly by accident in this case; I've been owned by cats for 54 of my almost 55 years. It does look special though.

19. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I covet your Sabino Panthers! ;) I have the group of herons in my Sabino collection. Those large pieces seldom come up for sale, in the USA, at prices that I can afford. My herons 'flew' over from France a few years ago at a very affordable price.

ritzyvintage likes this.
  20. ritzyvintage

Sabino items are relatively easy to come by apart from say the more rarer examples. Sabino's son sold the Sabino brand name and also a large amount of original moulds and glass stock including the recipe for opalescent glass to the USA shortly after is fathers death, however, the French government considered many of Sabino's moulds to be historically important to France, and so they were prevented from leaving the country. Sevres, are known to own several Sabino moulds.

Later Sabino pieces produced in USA can often be easy to identify. Sabino altered is recipe of opalescent glass 3 times during his lifetime, and his earlier examples are more creamy & dense in colour and they have a very waxy feel. Also, items that were produced in France will often be signed twice, and if the word "Paris" is included the item was not intended for export and was produced for the French market place only. USA examples will only be signed: Sabino France.

wiscbirddog likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted