Featured A Further Lesson in German vs. Staffordshire Please - Small Basket

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, May 23, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello my Board Friends - I very much appreciate you folks instructing me in the difference between German and Staffordshire pottery. I would like to follow up if no one minds. I have a tiny basket in white, blues, and gold. I think it's German but it seems to meet some of the qualifications of Staffordshire. The bottom is glazed and there is a ring which does not have quite as much glazing. The basket is 3" across. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Don

IMG_20190523_111604534.jpg IMG_20190523_111555960.jpg IMG_20190523_111613198.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

My gut feeling is German
    Looks like the little trinket souvenirs.
    Mini baskets.

Base looks too rough for English.
    The little cookie cutter flowers.
    Gold highlights.

As I said just a gut reaction.

popsycat, judy, dgbjwc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think German also .. the finishing appears to me to be nowhere near the quality of English Staffordshire ... Joy.

popsycat, judy and dgbjwc like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

German. It's that cake icing look to it: a bright white hard paste. A true English underglaze blue doesn't wear like that either, and the moulding is fairly crude. Not that we didn't do some cruder bits, but the overall look is German, a little 19th C fairing.

Christmasjoy and dgbjwc like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize that the blue was a cold paint. Thank you all for your patience with me as I try and fill this knowledge gap. You are the best!
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted