Featured A glimmer of hope for brown furniture?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Jun 1, 2020.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Well,maybe now all those antique stores that refused to lower their furniture prices can get the last laugh ! Ive been seeing more and more brown furniture sneaking into interiors in all my mags.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the writer of the article is a bit out of touch. Only one pic is of antiques, the rest are all mid-century furniture. Mid-century furniture has been selling well for quite a while - its the rest of "brown furniture" that has a weak market. They seem to think they just discovered this, stating "brown furniture from the 18th and 19th century has lost its value overtime unless it is really high end" - "Try to focus on European pieces from the 30's and 40's and Scandinavian pieces from the 50's, and look for strong architectural lines". In other words, go after the same MCM furniture that everyone else is looking for - duh hey.

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Note the brass pineapple things on display inside. If you have any of those, they sell well, not as well as before, but still desirable.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a pair of brass pineapple lamps that look like those pitchers or whatever they are. I got them at Christmas Tree Shop in the 90s.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

9. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

All things pineapple are currently trendy with the 20 to 30 hipster crowd. Won't likely last but you never know maybe they'll hang on to it or collected as they get older to be retro. Retro is a very hipster thing to do

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

True, but at least they are not advocating painting it.

Jeff Drum, ElleNVee and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

mid century is a fad that is on its way out for a second time.
    I think it is moderately interesting and i have seen some nice setups with it. But its a bit boring and doesnt have the same class as some classic styles.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Bottom line of article, brown furniture is great as long as it's European Art Deco or Scandinavian Modern. Wow, real cutting edge takes. And then there's the comment, “Check to see if the piece is made of solid hardwood and not veneer" . I'd be willing to bet all the teak pieces they highlight in the article are veneered, as is the burl coffee table.

James Conrad and Gatoblanconz like this.
  13. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yahoo? 'nuff said...........

Draft saved Draft deleted