A Goldsmith in his Shop, Reproduction

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kathy DeShane, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Kathy DeShane

Kathy DeShane New Member

My mother in law created this from a page of a magazine. She wanted to make it as true to the original as possible. I've never seen the original, how close did she get? As I'm slowly going through the boxes and boxes of items that we received, some item just make me stop and going "what is this...." My husband explained what his mom had done. IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0670.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

r u saying your MIL...painted that ?
    or just laid a page from a magazine down on a board ???

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It was popular at one point to decoupage prints on to board and lacquer them. The edges were often shaped and/or burned to give the appearance of a frame. Your seems to be actually carved (If I am seeing right?). If so, as a decorative piece, it is a step above most such things we see. Still just really a craft project any way you look at it with no real art value.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Kathy DeShane

Kathy DeShane New Member

Yes, seh decoupaged the print from the magazine on piece of oak and then carved and burned the wood to give it the old look. She did a great job!

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's nice. The antique value is minimal, if any, but woodburning is almost a lost art.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The burning and carving are beautiful. And she picked a nice image for it, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted