Featured A little help identifying these items would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JoeJ, Feb 13, 2020.

1. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

I have no clue as to the age or origin of these horse drawn fire wagons. One is a water pumper and the other is a ladder wagon. Both have 3 unattached horses hitched up. Here's a few pictures of the pumper that might help someone give me a clue as to their approximate age and origin. Thanks everyone.

DSCN0820.JPG DSCN0833.JPG DSCN0825.JPG DSCN0824.JPG DSCN0831.JPG DSCN0834.JPG DSCN0813.JPG DSCN0818.JPG

komokwa, ulilwitch, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

To my eye the paint looks newer.
    Are there any screws on the underside? Can you show a picture please.

i need help, judy and ulilwitch like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hmmm. A full picture of each of the 3 sets of wagons and horses would be helpful.

i need help and judy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Like trying to identify an elephant from... an eye, a tail, a patch of skin... Dollars to donuts, when the entire pieces visible, going to turn out to be new-ish Asian imports. No honest wear and a crudely painted figurine.

Debora

i need help likes this.
  5. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

No screws, just a bolt/nut holding the eagle. The paint looks like it's new, but my uncle died in March 1977 at the age of 74 and when my Aunt wanted these items out of the house, I volunteered to house them and asked if she had the original box. She said she didn't know of any box and that Phil picked up the items many years ago, but she couldn't remember when she first saw them. He always stopped at antique places, garage sales, flea markets and roadside stands and looked around. He was in the US Navy for 20+ years and collected some odd ball items at various ports of call. If someone made these items in their garage, they were skilled craftsmen. I thought if it was made by someone important, they would have put their initials somewhere and if from a company, there should be some type of markings?? DSCN0842.JPG DSCN0841.JPG DSCN0840.JPG DSCN0842.JPG DSCN0841.JPG DSCN0840.JPG DSCN0843.JPG DSCN0844.JPG DSCN0845.JPG DSCN0846.JPG

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Not well versed in cast iron toys but I believe a lot of reproductions were being sold even in 1960's.

Bakersgma and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

On the second set of pics on the long red rod I can see some lettering under the red paint. Could be a Reg number and makers name. I can def see an R.

pearlsnblume and Jet like this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

And most of these would not be marked by the maker. Not home-made, for sure; and a good general rule is that just because the owner was an older person, or the items were in the family for a long time, doesn't mean they are authentic antiques.
    It is pretty common for an old collection or collector to have some newer items, and perhaps even some reproductions.

Any Jewelry, sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  9. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

I guess I should have taken a slue of different pictures right off the bat - here are a few more.
    DSCN0848.JPG DSCN0849.JPG DSCN0850.JPG DSCN0851.JPG DSCN0852.JPG DSCN0853.JPG DSCN0855.JPG DSCN0861.JPG DSCN0860.JPG DSCN0859.JPG

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They are indeed lovely pieces....newer or not !

11. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

Now that was a GREAT CATCH, thank you ever so much.

Says, Made in USA on one side the other side starts with a P or R or B, looks to be 5 letters but I can't make them out, when my wife comes home maybe she can.

12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Thanks, I wasn’t just seeing things

13. komokwa

upload_2020-2-13_13-59-0.jpeg

I'm wondering how old this type of ball chain is.
    I haven't seen it for a long time...

JoeJ and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

My wife can't see any better than I can, so maybe I'll have to remove some paint with a solvent - unless that would be a good idea??

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. komokwa

not a great idea.......could u rub some backing powder on it and see if it highlights the letters ?

16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

You could try to take really good close up photos of that area. Some people good at photo editing could alter the contrast levels of the photo with software in order to highlight the lettering and perhaps clear it up. I don't personally know how to do this but perhaps someone else here has the expertise. @Vintage Maven ?

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@Aquitaine is a photo tweaking genius. Some of us 'lesser editors' can also edit to some degree.

komokwa likes this.
  18. komokwa

poor Maven....she not feeling well......

19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

20. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-2-13_12-56-5.png
    Agree they were remaking these toys and the moveable banks in the 1960s.

DO NOT take solvent to the paint.
    Even some of the earlier repros have some value.

A lot of firefighters collect anything to do with the fire dept. Would think these have some value - albeit not as high as the originals.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted