A Little More Help With Another Shiwan Figure Story ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by georgeingraham, Feb 14, 2021.

1. georgeingraham

georgeingraham Active Member

Does anyone recognize the story being told here for this Shiwan piece ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MT Vessel and anundverkaufen like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. georgeingraham

Will do, thank you Aquitaine :)

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well it's Budai (Putai) with his sack for starters

Figtree3 and georgeingraham like this.
  5. georgeingraham

I read that Pu Tai with his sack can mean he collects sadness and woes and puts them in his sack. Another version tells his sack symbolizes wealth and good fortune.

What ever is being exchanged between him and the young person, seems special. It appears to be wrapped like a gift with what looks like the end of a fly whisk attached..

Would also like to learn about the young persons clothing, what period they might be from, and what they might tell about him. His clothing seems a little bit official, but I think the straw hat would be in contrast to that, and I can not place his tall heavy duty looking black boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the more u look...the nicer it gets !

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard that ...Putai's name means "cloth bag," because he carries a sack full of candies and toys to give to children. Sure looks like that's what's going on here, giving a goodie or toy to a child.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny how we sometimes see just what we want to see..........

9. georgeingraham

Very interesting blooey, I did not find that reference about candles and toys ! But that would explain what looks like an specially well wrapped gift with those fly whisk like hairs attached.

Any thoughts about the young mans clothing ?

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's very interesting. I can't help, really, but a key would be to figure out what it is the boy is holding. You mentioned
    So the man has given the gift to the boy? It is flat, so what might that be, I wonder? Or maybe that is not relevant.

Here is a link I found that relates the gift-giving aspect of Pu-Tai (Budai)
    https://mythslegendscollection.com/product/laughing-buddha-ingot-pot/

georgeingraham likes this.
  11. georgeingraham

Thank you for that link Figtree3. Perhaps Pu Tai is giving candy, and because of the importance he placed on giving candy, this was made extra large to signify that, or perhaps it is a box of candy as compared to just one piece.

Any way, thank you.. I like the whole concept and think it fits well and am going to use it within my final description writing for this piece..

On a side note, picked up on a couple of features about the boys clothing. The piece around his neck and over his shoulders is called a "collar or piling", usually worn during ceremonies. The foot ware are called "hanfu boots/shoes"

I searched high and low last night trying to figure out what he has attached to his back, but no luck..

Thank you again Figtree

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome!

Draft saved Draft deleted