Featured A LITTLE, TENDER 1840-ish SONGSTER!

Discussion in 'Books' started by Aquitaine, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

MORE old stuff from an old house on Block Island again!! It IS pretty tender, bugs had gotten at the cover some time in the past! The size is 4-5/8 tall by 2-7/8, with 256 pages and it's called the Forget Me Not Songster. Publisher is listed on one of the images. No date in it, but Abe Books and ViaLibri list it as about 1840, with prices mentioned anywhere from $55. to $90. US.....but those just may not be in the tender condition mine is in!!!! Illustrated with numerous and frequently comical illustrations!!! Further input offered anyone?????????? Would love to hear!!!!

ForgetMeNotSongster1.jpg FMNSongster2.jpg FMNSongster3.jpg FMNSongster4.jpg FMNSongster5.jpg FMNsongster6.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd like to suggest any lady inspired to dress up as a secret sailor, that leaving your breasts showing may not be a good idea.

I'd pay a modest price for the book just to find out more useful information on the crookedness of women, and the significance of Canada I O which seems to rhyme with both blue and show.
    Somewhere in the region of $50 sounds reasonable

3. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

I agree, $50 is about right.:)

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I just found this lengthy article about your book, and also those types of books and their popularity among scholars of the early 20th century as well as their influence on American country music, among other things. It's fascinating, I think. It was originally published in 2005 in a scholarly journal called American Music.

http://www.bluegrassmessengers.com/the-forget-me-not-songsters--norm-cohen.aspx

I was going to say that I like it for the frontispiece alone!

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

The crooked rib?????????????????????????? :hilarious:

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

7. Aquitaine

HaHa....probably a bit of "artistic license" :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::D:D

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Thank you ALL for your GREAT input!!!!! @Figtree3, also a great article, which I'm still wading through and have saved it!!! WHO knew so much info on Songsters!!!!! Are you the one in the library?? 'Cuz, when I was searching some time ago, I couldn't come up with anything like that kind of info!!!! Thanks so MUCH!!!!!

9. Figtree3

Yes, I work in a library... And I'm also a credentialed librarian. I suspect that there are other members here who are as well. But they may not be among the more active members here.

Meanwhile, I did find that through a Google search. But Google picks and chooses what it will show to individuals (supposedly to enhance our individual experiences, but it can also interfere). I suspect that since I often search for scholarly material it may have come up higher in my list than it does for others.

yourturntoloveit and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

You can contact the Historical Society of Block Island. I've been there and they are very helpful and might even know who owned this book. They might even want to buy it themselves. I'd check with them before I did anything

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. BU66

BU66 Active Member

Block Island? Is that off Long Island?

12. Figtree3

13. Aquitaine

And yes, it IS off Long Island!!

14. BU66

BU66 Active Member

Understood but sometimes I like to check my memory, so google would be considered cheating. :happy:

I was born on Long Island and have been to Montaulk point several times.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Whaaaat, and NEVER over to Block Island???????????????

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, I was born on Long Island too - and I have never been to Block Island either!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted