Featured A local antique dealers Estate Sale!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Oct 17, 2019.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Usually what I've found at former dealers sales are the problem pieces that wouldn't otherwise sell.

Fid likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good heavens! That is a heck of a house and it's full!!

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice quality traditional antiques. Might find buyers in the Atlanta area but too rich for the blood of most folks here in the heartland. Even so, may not find buyers for all that brilliant cut glass unless rock bottom prices.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That house is adorable and chock full ! I saw some amazing quality things but lots of "meh" sprinkled in as well. I wonder if its been salted by the state sale people ?

6. patd8643

A&O who are running this sale usually do not salt the sales.
    They have too much to lose doing that.
    She must have been a Uni. of GA fan, I saw the Bull Dawg on several items.

7. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Looks like she kept a lot of the nicer stuff for herself. interesting lot.

8. patd8643

I think so, too :)

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

From the looks of the contents of the house, she was or became as time went on, more of a collector than a dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy::smug::joyful::smuggrin::D:p MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN, that's a BOATLOAD of stuff!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::rolleyes::rolleyes::wacky::wacky: SO happy it's not MINE!!!! I wish them luck!!! There were several music boxes and various small chests I saw too!!! How does one gather so much lovely cut glass!!

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Usually dealers have a mix in their own homes of "This is too good to sell" and "This isn't going to sell anyway". Looks like she had a ton of good stuff, and I'm guessing a lot of it is British antiques.

11. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

This is so funny! That is my old 'sister' company and my daughter now works for them. Usually great high end estates.

12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I've had good luck at the estate auctions/sales of deceased antique dealers and auctioneers. Many, the majority, of them had lots of quality hard to find items and not a whole lot of junk since they knew the market for "stuff". Now some estates were duds since some were hoarders keeping everything they couldn't sell at retail and couldn't throw away ..... lots of damaged items and that would have otherwise been home runs.

I know an auctioneer that has an number of amazing collections and occasionally see him at other auctioneer's auctions and at antique shows adding items to his personal collection. He has been collecting for 50 years.

Anyone want to organize an Antiquers' road trip?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  13. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Amazing...is that first inkwell Tiffany..if not too much trouble could you pick it up for me:) So many things I would love to have and don't have room for

14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Love the house! You would need antiques to live there. The cut glass is exceptional! Did you all see that gigantic mirror on the wall next to that arched door? Luscious! And the hand painted glass tray with the game bird? Oh my! If I were anywhere near ATL I would definitely go to this sale with my Big Checkbook.

15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

OMG, I would love to go to that sale. I also find that dealers sometimes keep the best things for themselves. Although does look pretty full with a mix of items, I bet there are some real finds in there.

@patd8643 will you be going??

pearlsnblume and bobsyouruncle like this.
  16. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

It's funny the things different people zero in on. I collect old oil lamps, and the ones I saw were run of the mill

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I think all of the sales I have gone to in my life didn't have as much total glass items as this one alone. Amazing.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure looked like it to me! If it's going begging, I'm sure one of us could find it a loving home. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

19. patd8643

I would love to go but since I have trouble walking and it looks too crowded for my wheelchair, probably not.
    I do have a friend who goes for me - she goes early with her baskets and totes. I have passed on several requests to her (BobsYourUncle) and she will be looking and picking up things for us :)

20. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted