A lot of different kinds of antiques

Discussion in 'Sell' started by GAJDAS, Mar 27, 2018.

1. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

NewEngland and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

That carved and inlaid cabinet is INCREDIBLE!:woot: I think it is the more valuable piece:)

GAJDAS, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

GAJDAS, could you please post the photos in this thread? Many people won't click on links, and it is best if you have as many eyes on them as possible.

kyratango, GAJDAS, judy and 1 other person like this.
  4. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

DSCN5935.JPG DSCN5970.JPG DSCN5969.JPG DSCN6046.JPG DSCN6048.JPG DSCN6049.JPG DSCN6051.JPG DSCN5829.JPG DSCN5831.JPG DSCN5832.JPG [ATTACH = pełny] 117733 [/ ATTACH]

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

6. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

7. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

8. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

OMG ! I am blown away ! Treasures galore ! That chinese cabinet is to die for ! Honestly Op,it looks like your uncle had exquisite taste and were I you,Id get a professional in there to appraise. Is that flute player statue bronze ??? Some of the art looks very interesting too,but its so hard to tell just through pictures. Again,Id HIGHLY reccommend a professional appraiser.

Bronwen, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Thanks. I had no idea there were so many and so many different categories. If you don't get answers in this thread, you could show the unanswered ones in the appropriate forums.

That cabinet is amazing. It is a high quality Peranakan cabinet.
    Peranakan are Straits Chinese, people with Chinese ancestry living along the sea straits of Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. I think the cabinet itself was made in Java, possibly Pasuruan, East Java, using Chinese imported panels for the doors and drawers.
    It is missing one bird, which should be on the top left, but still a very valuable piece.
    I would be tempted to remove the bird on the right, for balance, and sell it separately. It is a beautiful carving on its own.

The busts of the man and the woman are souvenirs from the Philippines, carved by craftsmen of the Igorot tribe.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Bronwen, kyratango and GAJDAS like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

The wooden carving of the saint with the chalice is a copy of a medieval statue.

The big metal statue of the flute player is a souvenir from Thailand.

The Chinese statue with the big head is Shou Xing, the star god of longevity.

The silk embroideries are of good quality and Chinese. Lovely.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

Thank you very much to Any Jewelry for valuable explanations and advice. Can you give me the approximate value of this Chinese cabinet? I can not find a similar one.
    This Buddha statue is of some metal, empty in the middle, height 100cm

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. GAJDAS

GAJDAS Member

Technical question: why does my thread have no responses and impressions on the site?

14. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Two famillie rose plate and vase are after 1950s chinese export. The rest chinese items are all tourism items, IMO. The chinese display cabinet is also a newer items probably after 1980s.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The tall case clock looks like it was made in the 1980s. I don't know clocks very well, but I'm a native guide to the 1980s. :D

16. Any Jewelry

It is not a Buddha. It is a statue based on a 19th century Thai story about a prince called Aphai Mani, who played the flute and had many wondrous adventures.
    It is empty because it was cast in a mold. There are many like it, in different metal finishes. You can find these statues in Thai souvenir shops, or in other parts of the world in shops that sell Asian items. It is of no value to a collector, but can fetch some money as a decorator's piece.

I agree with Asian, the Chinese items are souvenirs as well. Except for the cabinet.

The value of anything depends on where you are selling it. Markets are different.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In Vegas that Thai figure would sell for some real money. I don't know about other parts of the world - the best markets are where people like big shiny objects.

18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Since I can't have the clock, 1980s or not, I'll settle for the ammonite fossil:

upload_2018-3-28_15-51-42.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

That's some eclectic display cabinet. I'm curious about the plane model on the stand.

20. Any Jewelry

Chinese ammonite fossil snuff bottle with pearl stopper:
    upload_2018-3-29_10-47-37.jpeg
    :happy::smug:

all_fakes, kyratango and gregsglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted