a more contemporary piece- recognize me from the 80s? Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by David Madacsi, Jan 20, 2020.

1. David Madacsi

David Madacsi Active Member

I was in the UK last week and picked up this little painting in a charity shop in Camden. Its about 7x8in and pained on thin wood. The man looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it. The ladies in the shop and I all had a good time trying to guess who he might be. The inscription on the back says: "it was supposed to look like Jesus but sort of changed a bit." and "Happy Birthday Mate! XX Paul Mar 89"
    To me he looks like a pretty cool dude for '89 with a female symbol/venus symbol on his shirt and a Members Only style Jacket. In my mind he's a musician or an artist. The artist of the piece is obviously named Paul but he's a mystery as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Painters named Paul late 80s, UK?
    Re the man in the painting, I've looked at a lot of images and have more or less discounted Keith Haring, Damien Hirst, singer from the Eels, Lou Barlow from Sebadoh, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed and the guys from Blur.
    Who does he look like to you??
    camden1.jpg camden2.jpg camden3.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it could be any mate..........

PortableTreasures likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love it ! I googled a little but of course its nigh impossible to pin Paul down.There was a Paul Hedley that did this style,but thats a long shot . I think he looks like Richard Coles of the Communards ! One of my favorite bands back then . :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    David Madacsi likes this.
  4. David Madacsi

Ha yes the now Rev Richard. I see what you mean, some resemblance there. I'll check out Paul Hedley. :)
    now in my head -run away run away run away

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Pope Paul on his day off

Fid likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Which one?:confused:

This is nr 1:

[​IMG]

The last one, nr 6:
    [​IMG]

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Obviously #1 - he's the one with the halo, the other one is only known for pope-on-a-rope, right?

8. Any Jewelry

I think some of the other Pauls had halos as well.;) Maybe all of them, but I didn't want to make the thread into a pope gallery.:D

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Oh I don't know ...could be fun, I could print them all out and make myself a Pope Mobile maybe?

10. Any Jewelry

You could do that with just one pope:
    [​IMG]

11. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

Elvis Costello? First person I thought of when I saw this pic! I love his song Alison.

David Madacsi likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Rasta man, dat.

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Thought that was an ankh on his shirt. If it is does it help? (Obviously I have no idea)

14. David Madacsi

ha ha think it's a halo rather than a tam :)

15. David Madacsi

hmm could be - i figured it was a venus/female symbol ♀

Draft saved Draft deleted