Featured A nod to the silver gods...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, May 6, 2022.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon Everyone!

This was quite an unexpected chance for me to post today, and it certainly is one of my favorite posts in 2022 so far. I had a chance to get out and visit 6 different stores today, and the silver gods were clearly smiling down on me. I picked up this tray at the first Goodwill!!!! I love the feeling when I managed to uncover an absolute treasure in plain view of anyone going through the store... I can't say I was upset with the price of the piece. I'll try to find some time in my schedule later today to start the polishing, it's a monster in my book, weighs approximately 1350 grams.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Three bucks for a pound of silver? I'd have run off with that too! At mine I can't even get stainless for that. The palm tree and swords... Libya?

3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Almost three pounds ;)

Oooh Libya, I hadn't considered that yet!

4. evelyb30

Wheeee - a buck a pound? DANG. Don't I wish.

pearlsnblume, judy and MrNate like this.
  5. evelyb30

Googled it. Saudi Arabia (duh).

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Where do you think this was made, Nate?

judy and MrNate like this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I'm not sure yet, but I recall when I had the Indian Teaset from last year we were talking about the significance of Peacocks in Hinduism...I'll try to research later tonight, but I guess it's an interesting clue that the silver marks are in english, I would expect that's less common for middle eastern pieces?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

it would certainly be odd, but not impossible if it's older. The Brits were all over the place for a while.

Born2it, judy and MrNate like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's certainly Saudi Arabia, but not when we were there. That emblem is no earlier than 1950.

It's quite common for Middle Eastern countries to use English.

BoudiccaJones, judy and MrNate like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do you know what the R T stands for, Bear?

judy and MrNate like this.
  11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

As promised, my favorite part, the polished photos! Thank you very much @Ownedbybear for confirming the country and time period, that is very helpful.

PS: There's a small chance I'll have a new post tomorrow, no promises yet, I'm waiting for one package to arrive, and I'm also hopefully completing an in person pickup.

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG

12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I agree! It doesn't matter how many times I find treasure, I'm always pinching myself when it happens again!

Born2it, stracci, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Mr N8.....I luv your finds......and I luv silver......
    but this is getting ridiculous .........

good 4 U , Sir !!!!!

Born2it, stracci, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about the R T.

I did have one thought: much Emirati or Saudi sold silver was and is made in India.

stracci, bercrystal, MrNate and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great find again, Nate!!!
    Saudi Arabia is Islamic, and there are many layers of peacock symbolism in different schools of Islam, from superficial to deeply mystical. But I suspect none of them are used in Salafism.
    I think in this case the peacock simply refers to royalty, an important factor in Saudi state identity.
    It is reminiscent of certain Indian styles, but it also has a slight Persian vibe. Of course northern Indian silver often has an Indo-Persian influence.

Just a thought, could be wrong: Maybe the R stand for Riyal, as in the Saudi coin?

18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you, and I do agree lately it’s been amazing.

Born2it, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That’s a very helpful explanation. I was searching online and struggling to find comparable pieces from Saudi Arabia. I personally feel it’s closer to Indian works I’ve seen than Persian; much of the Persian pieces emphasize tighter patterns of scroll/engraving work.

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

WOWZA!!! I never find anything like this at Goodwill! What a great piece!!!! Congrats!

pearlsnblume and MrNate like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted