A pair of unusual Oriental vases, info please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Squidsworth, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

Hi all,

I haven't yet picked these up but they will be mine soon. A nice looking pair of Oriental vases, maybe Japanese or Chinese I'm not sure.

They also look unusual design, quite tall and the indents at about each 90 degree, I haven't seen this before.

Any ideas of origins, quality, age or other useful information? Should I be taking them straight to charity shop or are they keepers?

1100096635~2.JPG

Thanks
    Paul

Marzena and i need help like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

from here they don't remind me of all the more recent chinese twaddle we see here a lot !
    but.... wdik ??

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

No marks underneath?

i need help likes this.
  4. Squidsworth

I have only seen the above pic will collect on Monday next week so can provide more info then, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts from the pic in advance as they looked a bit different to what I'm more accustomed too. :)
    So no idea if marked yet, sorry.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Kyoto earthenware, kind of a Satsuma type of pottery ..Japanese of course, late 19th or more likely first 1/4 of the 20thc.

i need help likes this.
  6. Squidsworth

Thanks, hopefully a closer inspection will give some more details. But probably won't be marked knowing my luck.

Still struggling to find the shape, can anyone suggest other examples or does it have a name?

i need help likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I wonder if they are lamp bases.

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. Squidsworth

You know I'd never imagined that was such a thing but having looked you could just be right, given the shape and height etc.

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

That was my first thought as well. It would also explain the top rim. But if they had a hole in them somewhere you would think it would have been mentioned prior to your purchase?
    Don

10. Squidsworth

Now I've got these in my possession I'd thought I'd share a few more pics, no marks I can see yet.
    Still no further on shape either, evidently these were used as vases as vegetation and much inside.
    How'd you rate quality, and now I have it what struck me was the amount of gold on the piece.

IMG-20190926-WA0007.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0008.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0009.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0010.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0011.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0003.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0004.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0005.jpg IMG-20190926-WA0006.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Medium quality, Kyoto satsuma type earthenware, 20thc, Late Meiji/Taisho period. Just a fairly large-ish pair of Japanese export Vases.

12. Squidsworth

13. Squidsworth

Since you seem to know your stuff, do you know what style these are in terms of shape, as I can't find other examples. In particular, the way they're sort of indented?

14. Squidsworth

Exact size btw is 46cmx12cm, about 2.7kg.

15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No, I'm afraid not. I don't think it's a traditional Japanese "vase" shape, although viewed in section, it is reminiscent of cartouches I've seen on lacquerware. The shape, (again in section, i.e. viewed from above) is a Japanese form which I think may relate to a form found on tsuba or Japanese sword guards.
    Hope that helps!

https://muza-chan.net/japan/index.php/blog/tsuba-japanese-sword-guard

16. Squidsworth

Thanks again yes it does, I can see what you mean about tsuba and sword guards, it looks very much of that shape. Gives me something to look further into. :)

17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

That's good. As you saw on the link I posted, the shape is called mokko gata in Japanese.

Draft saved Draft deleted