A possible ancient sword

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Feb 2, 2023.

1. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Hey last post before bed. Only got time to do one. From what I believe, from what my dad said, some of these swords tested 8 karat on an acid test.. I haven't done anything myself but I got a closeup of one for your viewing pleasure.

Also I found a photo my dad took a while ago. Idk if he cleaned one or if it was already cleaned but I feel he did it. I can't currently locate the cleaned one.

Also please forgive me for not being able to post em properly, easily viewable. Still on mobile ill get my PC fired up when I do a lot of photos. Being a single dad is tough I stay busy and stressed. Phones for the win.

Have a goodnight guys!

@komokwa

Attached Files:

Potteryplease likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHAHA!!!! You're just going to tease him!!!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful: Hang in there @skyshark, you sound busy enough....we'll try to help as much as we can!!! I'll get a couple up now......

201756-a.jpg

205859-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  3. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Thank you <3

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  4. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Posting this stuff ngl has me a bit paranoid. Disabled vet.. recently purchased a sig .308 ar10 because reality can get tough. The way the world's going I'm afraid for my daughter. I'm assuming potential bc stuff doesn't pup up everyday. If so who might come out of the wood work when they see it.. idk

At least my dad was worried. He didn't know who to reach out to about this stuff. I'm scared to reach out without being smart too. I mean he never left this country, everything was shipped. He didn't break any laws I know of

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

At the moment, the way this world is going IS a bit crazy.....hoping it will start to settle down maybe when....well....since we don't talk politics here, just praying it WILL settle down before the world winds up in some war NOBODY wants! Have a good night! And at least you've come to the right place to try to get answers on your collections....this being pretty much a world-wide site, there's a Wealth of great information available here!!!!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not a sheath....with any of them?

7. komokwa

[​IMG]
    Golden Persian (Achaemenid era) ceremonial sword "Akinakeh"

[​IMG]

You task me , Sir..., & you shall not find me wanting.!!

That said.... the gold sword is famous....and it disturbs me to see a copy.

So please take a breath before you consider that yours is only the 2nd one ever to be found..............
    as it calls your other swords into question.

If it's real..... you're rich........or need a good lawyer...

I can't say for certain.

Aquitaine, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. komokwa

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In my opinion it is indeed a copy. If you look at the lines in the golden blade, they are near perfect, made with a steady hand. They are aesthetically pleasing.
    The ones on the bronze blade are sloppy, made to look like, but not with the conviction the Achaemenid sword maker had. They are just lines.
    I can't see the lions and rams heads on your sword very well, but I suspect they don't have the detail the heads on the Achaemenid sword have.
    Replica makers rarely have the sense of the importance of perfection ancient makers had.

I don't believe this was made to deceive people. I think it was made as an honest replica, not a fake.
    This is what fakers do, it is much more elaborate: https://www.collector-antiquities.com/real-or-fake/3.html
    https://www.collector-antiquities.com/real-or-fake/3/fake-weapons-page-2.html

Having said all this, replica bronze swords do have value. But not nearly as much as a one of Achaemenid era sword.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  10. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Would a forger use all that gold? Seems like a lot of weight even in 8 k.

11. Any Jewelry

The only gold I see is on the original, not on the replica.
    And I would call OP's sword a replica, rather than a forgery. A forgery would be more convincing, as shown in the link in post #9

BoudiccaJones and KSW like this.
  12. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

In one of the photos I posted was a old photo my dad took. He cleaned one of em, tho I CANNOT find the cleaned one.. but it looks goldish to me and I do remember him saying the sword tested 8k. Again, I gotta get this stuff tested. I wish I was in the UK I'm sure every corner store has an Antiquities expert.

13. Any Jewelry

I see, I only looked at the replica of the one komo posted.
    Unfortunately your dad's photo is old and doesn't give much information.
    I can tell you that an 8k sword won't get that heavy verdigris all over. Maybe the occasional spot, but even low grade gold archaeological items look very much like gold when they are excavated.

14. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

That makes sense. Please take a gander at the new post I posted. U can see potentially more gold. Idk tho..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. AntiqueBytes

So would ancients or whatever age have 8K gold, gold with that much other metals?

Also, maybe the verdigris is from it being underwater?

16. komokwa

tho I CANNOT find the cleaned one

ask your brother.....? maybe.....

17. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

My brother "doesn't have it", sadly. So he says lol but I believe him. I think there are a few more swords stashed away but haven't found em yet.. I posted some new photos of a few of the swords. One would appear to have gold, but idk. I appreciate everyone here and their knowledge. I'm going to stop posting pics for the time being tho till I can find more info myself. Hopefully find a reputable local Antiquities expert.. I'll still accept input on what I posted but I definitely don't want to, but I feel like I'm going about this wrong. Also already upset the jewelry expert on this site.. not trying to cause waves

komokwa likes this.
  18. AntiqueBytes

If they are 8K they would have much other metals, so maybe the verdigris is from it being underwater, and a reaction of the other metals.

19. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I'm getting this stuff verified. Know a guy who knows a guy. I'll post again on this site when I know what there is to know <3.

Draft saved Draft deleted