A quick question but an easy one to answer for those in the know...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Is this bonboniere by Camille Tharaud Art Neauveau or Art Deco or just plain ordinary.

Thanks for your answers. It's easy to get mixed up between the bonboniere and the background tablecloth.

CT bonbonniere.jpg
    Thank you.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's quite that simple. If you know when it was made, apply the appropriate tag.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    judy and Debora like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, not Nouveau or Deco, very modern looking.

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A plain background is always preferable for pictures.

judy likes this.
  5. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Technically, flowers in general are much more Art Nouveau Than Deco, but generally the Nouveau flowers are very delicately rendered with fluid lines (Deco is more geometric). Brown flowers of the bold broad style read as European/American 70s to me, though to every rule there are exceptions :)

PortableTreasures, judy and *crs* like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see that similar works of his with a pink & brown floral motif are consistently identified as Art Deco by sellers on eBay France. (Here's one example.) Photographs from the side and the bottom would be helpful.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

Van_Poperin likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's not a lot of information available about him on the internet but the French wikipedia.org does have a short (and poor) biography which you can run through Google Translate.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Tharaud

Debora

Van_Poperin likes this.
  8. Brian Warshaw

That's exactly why I posed the question. I had gone for Art Neauveau.

@moreotherstuff He was working across both periods.

Thanks, the two of you, for adding more confusion to my feeble brain.

judy likes this.
  9. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

judy and Brian Warshaw like this.
  10. Brian Warshaw

Thank you. I must try to read what is written about Tharaud, until your mention of this book I have not come across very much at all about him. I was fortunate enough to pick up one of his round vases for £4.00; but it is in the UK and I am in Frannce, so because of Covid-19 I have yet to hold it in my hands. I might be unique because its has a Fragonard type picture as its main feature before going into a celestial back.

Is there any mention of CT collaborating with Emile Madesclaire. There is a Limoges mark 'MT Limoges' which I others have mentioned the 'T'with a ?, but failed to comment on 'M'.

Attached Files:

NTC Collector and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted