A. Silver Floral Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by rink28, Oct 31, 2018.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I recently acquired this at a local thrift shop a few days ago. I did some research on the artist and there are a lot of A.Silver floral paintings and im wondering if anyone knows who the artist is? I cant seem to find a biography on the artist. I went on ebay and there are some A. Silver painting on there but im not sure if they are asking a ridiculous amount of money for those. Is the artist even known? If anyone has any info that would be great thanks! also i will attach a link i found below. Is it the same artist?

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/w.../roses-golden-vase-signed-silver/id-f_481987/

silver1.jpg silver2.jpg silver3.jpg silver4.jpg silver5.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like it was painted in Italy.
    May be 1960s -70s decorator art from a furniture store/department. I'm using the frame to guess time period.

upload_2018-10-31_12-36-3.png

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

This piece came to us with some dubious provenance attached to it

nuff said..........

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! So you think the label on the back of the painting on the link website was made up? They have theirs that it was from austria.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

State Farm.....isn't that an insurance Co...?

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Yes it is but it has a lot number on it so I assume it was in some auction in St Louis maybe?

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree that this is probably a factory painting.

That said, a still life by an A. Silver sold for $49.99 plus shipping on eBay recently, so your painting has a chance as well.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the info! I got it for pretty cheap so I snagged it. Well there is some hope haha. Still has a nice look to it so hopefully someone will like it :) thanks again!

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  9. Mykal07

Mykal07 New Member

I have over 60 paintings by A Silver, he has used the name Felix . What I know is this, he had a father who was a banker in the Netherlands, they came to America and he painted what he interpreted using an impressionistic,realist approach. One the back of one of my paintings is a tag stating that he was a perfectionist and would not let a painting go unless it was perfect.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Myka! :)
    It’s always nice to get additional information.

Christmasjoy and reader like this.
  11. Mykal07

Mykal07 New Member

I am still trying to find out more information about Felix/A. Silver. If any one else knows more, please reply to me. I tried searching for him. however he appears to be elusive.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There was another poster talking about this guy just this afternoon. He apparently has a "large collection."

komokwa and i need help like this.
  13. PortlandGal

PortlandGal New Member

I also have a painting by him. Looks similar to the "Roses in a Gold Vase". It has a hand typed card stating that the artist was "born in 1932 in London and that he studied at the London Academy of Art". It also claims he was "very versatile with considerable skill" and his favorite subject is florals. I've also seen some of his paintings for sale under A. Silven, but I think they just got the name wrong...

14. Cara

Cara New Member

I have a painting, also A. Silver. It is not floral but a cabin/mountains/trees. It was purchased around early 1970s. My parents didn't have a lot of money and didn't collect art. They would likely have gotten it in a furniture store.

15. I too have an A.Silver Painting of Floral Still Life.

A. Silver was born 1898 in Austria

Subject: Florals and landscapes Studied: Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna. Royal Hungarian Art Academy, Budapest. For many years worked with the well-known prof. Kaufman. It is said that he inherited his talent from his mother, Maria. His paintings are now very much in demand by art galleries and real connoisseurs."

Please do not Listen to these Nay Sayers
    If I had a way I would show you one that sold for over $3000.00

16. He was Born in Austria

17. You could not be further from the true facts

18. "Born: 1898

Subject: Florals and landscapes

Studied: Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna. Royal Hungarian Art Academy, Budapest. For many years worked with the well-known prof. Kaufman. It is said that he inherited his talent from his mother, Maria. His paintings are now very much in demand by art galleries and real connoisseurs." Screenshot_20201011-052555_Chrome.jpg

20. 20201011_052948.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted