A Small Gold Chair w/ upholstered seat and back...HELP.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly

Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly Active Member

Hello to all you great Antiquers who are online on this Labor Day. Well, I finished the worst and most personally exhausting move of my life. I moved from a very large house, crammed full of *stuff* to a much more normal sized home and now I have a garage FULL of furniture and boxes piled to the ceiling (literally) with a small pathway where I am able to walk, albeit in some places sideways. (-;

Anyway, I need some help with a chair I am selling as far as the period and style and an approx. price I can ask for it. I purchased it on ebay. 20180901_193459__1536019022_95424__1536019022_36280.jpg maybe 22 yrs ago, because I had the perfect place to put it and I liked it. It arrived and was much smaller than I had envisioned, but that's my fault for not reading the description very well. I have always called it my minature Bergere chair, but I may be completely wrong...As always, thank you so much for your help !!! Cyndie

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Pretty chair.Im thinking 1920's,but I could be wrong.We'd need pics of the bottom and the joints to tell more. As for price that all depends on your location. Here in n. Fl I could see that $250-300 ,more if its older than I think it is.

3. Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly

I'll take more pics, give me a minute to move it to a better lit area to get more pics...I also forgot to give you the measurements...The height to the tallest area ion the back from the floor is 27"...The widest point, which is across the arms is: 26 1/2 inches...Across the back it is: 22"...Be back in a few...

4. Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly

You're going to have this lady carpenter an extra bit of time...They have stapled a new piece of fabric onto the bottom, to hide a horrendous fabric under that and then... there is *still another* fabric under that one. The first two have been stapled and the third is tacked, on to the wood frame and of course, I can't find the tool that I use to pull staples out, once I have them loosened and the pliers I found are a pitiful excuse for a pair of pliers. Maybe they came out of a child's set of tools, or so they seem.

judy likes this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Careful you don’t remove too much. Why are you removing under the chair? This has jute webbing straps holding up metal springs under compression and you don’t want to remove those unless you need to. I think this is pretty clearly 20th century so no need to do too much disassembly. Good that your upholstery looks to be in good condition so reupholstery not needed, though someone needs to like the plaid.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Dont go to all that trouble,I was just hoping a joint would be visible.:)

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

At 27", I think you have a vanity chair.
    Probably 1930s-1950s - that has been reupholstered and painted gold.

silverthwait, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Agree, Vanity Chair. And while I am not in the market for such, I have to tell you that I have a floral (ish) patterned Oriental rug that would love that chair - plaid n' all!

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  9. Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly

10. Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly

I can just imagine that it would be gorgeous. I am a retired Interior Decorator, so I so the floral & plaid makes total sense to me. (-;

Draft saved Draft deleted