Featured A Tale of Two Chippendale Chairs (with a hero)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 5, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

When I purchased my Craftsman Bungalow twenty-two years ago, I needed a chair to place in front of the built-in secretary. So I went to the antiques swap meet in search of something suitable. I found what I was told was a Victorian reproduction of a Chippendale chair. I foolishly bought it and brought it home.

IMG_4139.jpg IMG_4137.jpg

Don't laugh. Several years later, a friend brought his friend, an antiques dealer, over for a visit and to my chagrin, I was told it was a modern reproduction and a poor one at that. I vowed to replace it. So when I completed my recent 18 month restoration of my living/dining room, the time had come. Enter this forum. I sought to master the knowledge of how to determine the real from the reproduction. After a year, I learned I might die before I gained enough knowledge to do that.

Enter the hero @James Conrad. I tasked him with helping me find an actual Chippendale chair at a price I could afford. No mean task. After months of me showing him chairs from various auctions, he just pointed at one he found. Voila.

Chippendale arm chair.jpg
    A Pennsylvania Chippendale walnut armchair, ca. 1770, with a shell carved crest, pierced splat and shell carved legs, terminating in ball and claw feet. Provenance: Alice Vaux Lewis, Easton, Maryland; Joe Kindig Jr. & Son 1985; The Collection of Daniel Heisler and Mary Jane Sheppard, Lutherville, MD.

Mine. Mine. All Mine. Because James taught me how to bid (you've seen his posts), I got it for less than the initial bid price and well below the estimate. I wanted to share this gorgeous chair with all of you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    morgen94, Figtree3, Jivvy and 24 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely chair ! And a great story ! I too have learned so much from James posts.

sch3gsd, judy, Any Jewelry and 10 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s Beautiful! So well taken care of!! :)
    Well Done, @James Conrad !:)

4. KikoBlueEyes

It's a beauty, isn't it. I am so thrilled. James is a real asset to the forum.

morgen94, judy, Any Jewelry and 9 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

You are so right about that.

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yay!! Good going, James!

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Enjoy. Great story too. What little I know about furniture, came from Brad and James.

8. KikoBlueEyes

He is something else, isn't he.

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. It's spot is waiting for it to come. I read both their posts with fervent interest too.

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's a very nice example, it's period & the price was right considering repair to one arm. It was once owned by Joe Kindig, a well known dealer in PA. Probably part of a dining set built somewhere around Philly in last quarter 18th century.
    I am happy you finally bagged it, it takes time & patience to build any collection.
    ENJOY YOUR CHAIR!

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE, NICE buy @KikoBlueEyes !!!! WELL done!!:happy::happy:

12. KikoBlueEyes

Without you, I was lost. :happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

13. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I am most thrilled with the chair, but my best bit was asking James for help.

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And I agree.....THAT was a GREAT idea......WHY NOT ask an EXPERT!!!!!!

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  15. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

HOW exciting, @KikoBlueEyes! And very smart to ask @James Conrad :)

WELL DONE!!

16. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Is it gonna come in a crate??!! :woot:

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

I got up at 5:30 in the morning because the auction was back east and the chair was early in the auction. I watched the first few items go for thousands and then tens of thousands. When my chair came up, my finger hovered over the bid button and then suddenly the asking price dropped by a third. You bet it was exciting.

18. KikoBlueEyes

I've just started the shipping process. James recommended Uship, which is a shipping service. If you want, I'll keep you apprised of how it goes.

19. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

When you see such 'fine' pieces, your eyes just curl around them and love them. And you know if Joe was in the line of provence it was probably very good. Joe was an interesting character, known for his love of long rifles. He and my FIL wrote a noted book on long rifles. I think I still have 2 copies of the book. He had an interesting relationship with the IRS!

20. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

USHIP is the way to go for antique furniture, been using them for around 10 years now. Small operators, you deal directly the the driver/carrier, they pick it up & blanket wrap, deliver to your door, it doesn't get any better than that.

Figtree3, Aquitaine, Tanya and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted