Featured A VERY COOL THRIFT STORE FIND!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 20, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this old cruise ship menu at a local thrift store & bought it right away - I had 2 concorde menus at home already + I liked the Hawaiian feast artwork on it.
    When I got it home & googled 1954 S.S. Lurline menu - I found out that artist was Eugene Savage; a well known & listed American artist & sculptor!
    But the menus I saw looked much better than mine - until I opened the back & saw that someone had displayed the menu choices instead of the menu art!

Now I have a bit of a dilemma - do I leave it as is & sell it on eBay, or reverse it & sell it with the artwork framed?
    Thanks!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MENU CRUISE LINE SAVAGE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MENU CRUISE LINE SAVAGE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MENU CRUISE LINE SAVAGE 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MENU CRUISE LINE SAVAGE 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MENU CRUISE LINE SAVAGE 6AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MENU CRUISE LINE SAVAGE 6AAA.jpg

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Double sided frame.
    They also make magntic acrylic standing double sided which are inexpensive.
    BB5EA1F2-B4B3-471C-A382-1C2B8129D95B.jpeg

KSW, KikoBlueEyes, *crs* and 8 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Which solves your dilemma!!!!!:smug::smug::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Can't you take it out of the frame and just sell it as a menu? Emphasize the illustrator and cruise ship. I don't think the current frame works at all.

What is the picture that is shown on front? Looks like it's been taped in place? It's badly faded and has left tape stains. Comparing that picture to the full image on the back you can see that all the red has leached away.

If you want to sell it framed, I'd look for something more appropriately sized and favor that large illustration.

5. Aquitaine

Double Mat to make it fit a frame!!!

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

"....Chilled Hearts of Celery"

I love these old menus!

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think even double matting would work with that frame

cxgirl, antidiem, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Me too! "Braised Sweetbreads with Burgundy Sauce." Heaven!!!

9. silverthwait

Oh. There were pictures...?

Ghopper1924, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Aquitaine

MOS....note my wording....."a frame"........:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

One of the problems with something like this is that it was never intended to be framed.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    cxgirl, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I do like the illustration. I can easily see a collector of cruise ship memorabilia or menus being very interested.

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother only made sweetbreads once when I was very small so I don't really remember them, but she had a restaurant at one time and was a very good chef. When she wanted to be. In later years, her specialties tended to be instant potatoes and canned stew.

kyratango, Ghopper1924, judy and 2 others like this.
  14. silverthwait

Hi, Bev! One of my mother's wartime specialties was salmon (canned) loaf, covered with creamed (canned) peas.

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When my Gram made sweetbreads she would never say what it was. She always said "Don't ask just eat it"
    greg

16. Aquitaine

I've had a few people tell me what 'sweetbreads' were (or so they thought), and trust me!.....NONE said they were even CLOSE to being "the thymus or the pancreas, from veal (calf) and lamb, and sometimes, beef or pork", which I think I might have LOVED........had I truly known!!!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: I've always loved chicken livers with onions & bacon, or the same with veal kidneys!!!!! Can't even FIND veal kidneys anymore!!!!:(:(

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...thankfully. I don't think I could eat a kidney. Fried, chopped chicken liver with onion and chopped boiled egg ...yum... Beef liver is another matter.

kyratango, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Years ago, when I had my kidney transplant, I was a moderator for an online support group (based in the UK) for kidney patients. I made a number of great friends there - not surprisingly, most of them are in the UK.

THREE different friends from that group had kidney transplants in London, and for their first, post-transplant, solid meal, ALL THREE were served STEAK & KIDNEY PIE! I can't even imagine...

cxgirl, ALittleBit, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::vomit::vomit::vomit::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: That's simultaneously funny and disturbing. Not with a fine chianti, I hope, and a side of fava beans. That would be for a liver transplant.

20. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted