Featured A very small smallsword or court sword.

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by afantiques, Sep 9, 2016.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have just bought this silver hilted sword.
    [​IMG]

The design is that of the 17th C. with extended quillons and a cup guard and bow, but the odd thing is that it is about the right size for a 12 or 13 year old child.

[​IMG]

Looks to be a decent quality square form blade.

[​IMG]

And a well worked hilt which is very probably silver.

[​IMG]

but it is only 70cm or about 27 1/2 inches long. It was listed as a ceremonial sword but the saleroom are no weapons experts. I was wondering why anyone would make a 3/4 size ceremonial sword. I have had the occasional ceremonial sword, masonic and the like, all full size.

It cost me about £180, which will not break the bank if it is nothing interesting. When I get my hands on it I will get pictures of some details such as what might be a maker's mark on the blade.

My theory is that it is a child's sword from the period when children, especially of the affluent classes, wore smaller versions of adult clothing with accessories.

Any thoughts welcome, as usual.

I have a feeling I may have bought it because when I was a wee lad, the only sword I had was made from sticks of wood, and I would have given absolutely anything for a real sword just my size.

2. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

I think you are absolutely correct..child's court sword and a simply splendid example. love it!

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It IS beautiful!!!!! Hopefully you'll find some marks on it when you get it in hand!!!

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

My hands are small and I'd love it too! ;)

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't "do" swords, but I'd have jumped on that too. If that thing is a genuine child's sword, it's worth more around here than an adult version. The kid swords were made in smaller numbers, and fewer of them survived.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It may be a child's blade....but if it's this child....get outta her way...fast !!!!!

[​IMG]

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Best not tell her her that she looks a bit fat in that, then.

8. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

test it with a magnet, horseshoe nails are made of iron .

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted