Featured A very successful Daguerreotype restoration!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Jan 26, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I am very very satisfied with my work on this image. I consulted with a professional and went ahead and soaked this dag in distilled water and then rinsed with some more distilled water. The alcohol aids in the drying time and prevents water marks because it has to dry with air since nothing can touch the surface of the image. All in all I learned a lot from my first job and my wrapping was much better this time around as well!

Very pleased with one HUGE mistake. I had glass cut and it was 1/8 inch too large and I thought nothing of it, however, it won't fit back into the case!! I tried putting it back and one of the corners of the case starting popping. SO now I need new glass and I need to unwrap and re wrap it! Argh! Lesson learned this time around find a COMPETENT glass cutter who can get me the exact measurements I provide.

20200125_180138_resized.jpg 20200125_194851_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Most glass cutters have always used 1/8 th " on their cuts.
    I had an old house and always had trouble getting replacement glass cut. I found a glass place that listened to me and never had a problem after that.
    greg

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

that cleaned up nicely and now instant relatives!!!

Nick72, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Great job!!!

Nick72 likes this.
  5. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Great job. On the glass size, I've trimmed thin glass to fit using a hand held sanding block. A motorized belt would work if it was a wet belt and didn't overheat the glass, which would cause cracks. Sanding parallel along the edge with medium or fine grit should do the job but feel the temp. and don't go too fast.

kyratango likes this.
  6. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I found a place that claims they can get me glass to within 1/16 in of my desired dimensions if not exact. So fingers crossed they come through!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted