A wee intro and a couple of questions on what I think is screen

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Roo, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Roo

Roo New Member

G'day all I am Roo.

Aussie currently living in the US but love old stuff. I am not a huge collector but we have lived all over the world and have had the opportunity to pick up some things that make us happy.

I stumbled on your site the other night while looking up some stuff.

I do not want to waste your valuable time and knowledge but I have a couple of items that I would like some advice on before I commit antique murder and re-finish them. I am assuming that I should post them separately?

Before I do that though, I wanted to share something that I found. I think this is an old room divider. I know it is in terrible shape but was curious if anyone knew anything about something like this. It is about 5' high at its highest point. There are what look like 3 panels and only one of them has the really dirty canvas image on them. Any thoughts? I paid nothing for this (was leaning against a dumpster at my storage place) So my feelings will not be hurt :)

Is this format with images what you are looking for picture wise?
    Thanks

Roo

Full image 2.jpg full length 2.jpg header 2.jpg hinge 2.jpg Marking 2.jpg Top side view 2.jpg top and bottom wood 2.jpg nails 2.jpg

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Roo! :)
    I’m sure someone can tell about the age from the wood and fabric.
    Your photos are in the right format. Thank you!
    Quite an image there!
    Maybe we can figure out what and where this is. What is in the upper right? Is it a building, castle?

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Roo. There are quite a few Aussies here.
    I agree, a room divider. I am no furniture expert, but it looks like the panel with the dirty canvas has an 18th century inspired print. The nice lattice work is Chinese in style, very popular during several periods.
    Others will be able to tell you more.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Roo, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  5. i need help

Unusual letter characters. I wonder what that is.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Looks like our ancestral tombs in Indonesia, but it probably has nothing to do with those at all.:)

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Old and knackered ... which feels familiar.... Welcome to the forum, BTW. We let Aussies in here; if they're on good behavior we even let them back out.:p

BoudiccaJones, Roo, judy and 4 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Edited them a bit:
    upload_2018-6-7_20-55-52.jpeg

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

My pleasant interpretation is he’s being knighted. But realistically, I guess more ominous.

Roo, judy, Christmasjoy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Looks like the two are leaning forward, looking at something. But I don't think we need to worry about interpreting the image, it will never be restored. It is the style and period that are important to Roo's question.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I have to admit that table screen is in the worst condition I have ever seen.

Roo and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Roo!! My my, we're getting quite an influx of Aussies here, and quite welcome you all are!!!! What an interesting find you have! Well, I for one would love to see the divider with the what-looks-like charcoal-images on it - completely upright-straight-on, if you can get a picture like that!!!! The image...at least to me... doesn't look like it goes with the Chinese influence of the room dividers.....but that's just my opinion too!!:rolleyes:

Roo, judy, Christmasjoy and 1 other person like this.
  13. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Sorry I read foot as 5 inches. I thought it was a small table screen. That's what come with dealing with metres for years.

Roo, judy, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Roo. I hope somebody can help with the room divider!

15. Roo

Roo New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will grab some images of it open tomorrow when it is not raining.

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted