A young Lon Chaney, Sr. or Lionel Barrymore?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by AntiqueBytes, Jan 9, 2021.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Does this look like someone? I doubt it's the two mentioned but does look a little like them. The stamp on the back is from Spokane, WA. chaneybarrymore3photographer.jpg chaneybarrymore.jpg chaneybarrymore2.jpg chaneybarrymore3.jpg chaneybarrymore3photographer.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't recognize a resemblance to anybody in particular. Based on the card mount, I think this would be from the 1920s, or possibly the 'teens. It seems extremely odd that the photographer's logo would be printed backwards like that. Can you read the studio name?

EDIT: I was able to flip it. It looks like the studio might be Carpenter.

Spokane logo flip.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  3. Ruby Akin

Ruby Akin Rubysky10

4. Ruby Akin

Ruby Akin Rubysky10

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think he may be a bit early for this portrait.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i find the crown and lion crest to be of great significance ......... could this be a Prince or future King..?????????

It's a mystery to me !!;)

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a senior portrait to me.

Debora

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, I had forgotten about this thread!

Although I guessed 19 'teens or '20s, it could possibly be as early as 1908. My instinct is that it's later, but I have seen embossed lettering on cards in the first decade of the 20th century. It's funny that the photographer in that link was mostly seen in Canada during that time period but showed up in Spokane for just a few years. Some photographers did travel around quite a bit. Can't tell if he did this photo, though.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dunno re age but... That collar is awfully soft and low. Leads me to believe photograph is later rather than earlier.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. komokwa

Canada would be a good connection...what with all the British stuff !!

12. komokwa

I wonder if Ruby has anything to say ?

13. Linny

Linny Member

I actually did some research on Carpenters photography in Spokane Washington for some photographs a few years ago. Let me see if I can scrounge up those notes because I did fairly expensive research on them and it took me awhile to come up with all the information that I did to be able to Identify some miscellaneous photos. I'll look tomorrow and see if my notes help in any way

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Linny

Linny Member

Well I tried to help on this photo but it's going to be like a needle in a haystack, I believe. The Widow by the time she passed away, had donated over 15,000 photos to just one Museum. I have quite a bit of information on them and The Business and the town itself during that time but I don't have anything to help identify this gentleman. Sorry. I still will look some more but just wanted to touch base.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted